WINNINGTON Park were left to wonder what might have been after they exited a national knockout at the quarter-finals stage.

With many regulars missing, they were able to name only five of the starting line-up that prevailed seven days earlier.

The result is a first defeat of the campaign following 21 successive wins in all competitions.

They resisted long spells of pressure from their Rotherham-based hosts for 37 minutes before Anthony Barratt claimed an opening try with Park wing Aaron Brown in the sin-bin.

Jack Whitlam converted for the hosts.

However the visitors rallied, and from the kick-off prop Will Burgess drove to the line after several phases of play.

Whitlam’s penalty made it 10-5 early in the second-half before Sam Holt finished off a slick handling movement to improve Wath’s total.

Whitlam converted from out wide.

There was time for him to kick a second penalty before he succumbed to an injury, although by then the Yorkshire Division Two side had assumed control.

Winnington, who included 17-year-old scrum-half Dan Berg and fellow teenager Will Morrillo at centre, started to tire and Holt danced his way past three attempted tackles to claim the game’s best try.

A last-four spot was secured by Wath, who contested the RFU Senior Vase final at Twickenham in 2012, when replacement Richard Hill barged over.

“We fought hard,” said Matt Farr, Park’s head coach, afterwards.

“Despite not having a number of regulars, I was confident we still had a chance such is the talent we have at the club.

“It was great to see our older guys support the younger ones, who themselves played with a maturity beyond their years.”

League leaders Winnington turn their attention next to their number one priority – being promoted as champions – when Oldershaw visit Burrows Hill on Saturday, kick-off 2.15pm.

Park | Burgess, Robins, Taylor, Snowden, Halllworth, Dykes, Stubbs, Fowler, Berg, Johnson, Brown, Phoenix, Morrillo, Critchley, Pugh Replacements Baglole, Clarke, Knight, Hodgkinson Try Burgess