THE result matched that of the previous meeting between the teams at Brewery Field in March.

On this occasion, the prize was a bigger one.

Spennymoor were promoted to the Northern Premier League’s top-flight as a reward for their 2-0 victory on Saturday, secured by a goal in each half.

Gavin Cogdon found the net on 10 minutes, striking past goalkeeper Mason Springthorpe from the edge of the penalty area.

A leveller almost arrived immediately, only for Moors’ custodian Dan Lowson to block Jimmy Ball’s header from Alex Byrne’s cross.

At the other end, Vics’ net-minder used his fingertips to divert Mark Anderson’s drive over the cross bar.

There were few chances in a scrappy contest, save for Stuart Cook’s attempt flashing wide of an upright shortly before the interval.

The pattern was similar in the second half, though the home team were relieved when Richie Bennett and Ball narrowly failed to apply a decisive touch to Byrne’s centre from the right on the hour.

Spennymoor scored next instead with their opponents a man down while Andy Watson received treatment for a facial injury.

Substitute Nathan Fisher’s cross from the left fell kindly for Anderson after a touch from defender Matt Regan, and he steered the loose ball past Springthorpe.

Bennett’s best chance to add to his goal tally for the season arrived on 80 minutes, but he struck wide after Lowson had punched Byrne’s assist into his path.

With the visitors taking more risks in search of a way back into the game, they were grateful to Springthorpe for a superb stop to prevent Fisher from making it 3-0.

That would have been harsh on Vics, who continue to wait on a return to the Premier Division after reaching the promotion play-offs in each of the past two seasons.

Moors | Lowson (GK), Griffiths, Mason, Gott, Tait, Ian Watson, Stephenson, Henry, Henderson (Taylor 83), Cogdon (Fisher 63), Anderson (Risbrough 74) Subs not used Johnson, Bell Goals Cogdon 10, Anderson 66 Booked Tait, Anderson

Vics | Springthorpe (GK), Byrne, Duxbury (Clarke 70), Cook, Andrew Watson, Regan, Summerskill, Simon Lakeland, Bennett, Howard, Ball (Amis 70) Subs not used McCoy (GK), Bett

Referee Daniel McNamara

Attendance 1,129