KFC in Northwich fined after boy eats undercooked burger

KFC in Northwich

KFC in Northwich

First published in News Northwich Guardian: Photograph of the Author by , Chief Reporter

A FAST food restaurant has been fined after it admitted selling undercooked chicken that was eaten by a three-year-old boy.

KFC, in Chesterway, was investigated by Cheshire West and Chester Council’s (CWAC) food safety inspectors after a little boy spat out a mouthful of mini chicken fillet burger saying that ‘it tasted funny’.

Queensway Hospitality Limited, which operates the restaurant and drive-thru under franchise, was prosecuted by CWAC following a complaint from the boy’s family in February 2013.

The company appeared at Chester Magistrates’ Court on Thursday, May 1.

The court heard that a man bought the burger from the drive-thru as a treat for his son to eat at home.

It was sent to the public analyst who found conclusively that part of the burger had not been adequately cooked.

Food safety inspectors found evidence to suggest that in some in instances chicken was being under defrosted and additional items were added to the defrosting cabinet during a defrosting cycle.

The company accepted this was a serious incident.

They reacted promptly, conducted their own internal investigation and a thorough review of procedures.

They also admitted that their investigation revealed evidence of falsification of records by staff, although the cause of the incident in February 2013 could not be established.

Vanessa Griffiths, head of regulatory services at CWAC, said: “At sites such as this, where high volumes of high-risk foods are being served, it is critical that staff are well trained, understand the value of food safety procedures and have the right equipment and time to ensure that our public can eat high quality, safe food with confidence.”

A spokesperson for KFC said: “We acknowledge that in February 2013 our Northwich restaurant failed to meet the high standards that we and our customers expect from KFC.

“This was an extremely rare incident, and we immediately put in place stringent measures to avoid any possibility of it happening again.

“We always try to have a positive relationship with environmental health officers, and we are in the process of arranging a meeting with the local environmental health officers to explain the changes we have made at the Northwich restaurant.”

Queensway Hospitalilty Limited was fined £500 and ordered to pay £2,500 towards CWAC’s costs and a £50 victim surcharge.

Comments (3)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:03am Wed 14 May 14

MrT1976 says...

Its about time the KFC in Northwich had something done by the Food Standards authority as it has always been "dodgy" imo,
Its about time the KFC in Northwich had something done by the Food Standards authority as it has always been "dodgy" imo, MrT1976
  • Score: 17

9:33pm Wed 14 May 14

L Byrne says...

Not a surprise. I had a very similar experience in another KFC restaurant about two years ago and I have not touched any of their products since.

These places should be subjected to random checks by Public Health officials who should have the power to close them if they find dangerous food on sale.
Not a surprise. I had a very similar experience in another KFC restaurant about two years ago and I have not touched any of their products since. These places should be subjected to random checks by Public Health officials who should have the power to close them if they find dangerous food on sale. L Byrne
  • Score: 9

10:54am Wed 21 May 14

Cymo says...

Well done to that little boy, and his parents for listening to him!
Well done to that little boy, and his parents for listening to him! Cymo
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree