7:00pm Wednesday 26th March 2014
By Josh Pennington
NORTHWICH has been named as one of the best places to live in the UK and after the Guardian’s report on the accolade last week, the state of the town has been a huge talking point with residents.
The town was named on the Sunday Times’ 101 top places to live in Britain and was also recognised in the top 10 places to live in the north west.
The Guardian took to the town centre streets to find out exactly what is being made of the honour.
- Patrick Crowe, 74, from Wincham, said: “I couldn’t be happier here so I think it completely justifies a place in the top 10.
“I lived in Altrincham most of my life and then moved to Northwich and I must say I prefer it here because the people are so friendly and there’s always entertainment and things going on in the town centre.”
- Beverley Bumby, 50, from Rudheath, said: “I think the town’s slowly getting better, especially with the lifestyle centre hopefully opening soon, but I still don’t quite agree with it being called one of the best places to live.
“There just isn’t anything for the younger generation to do, they have to go to Manchester or Liverpool to socialise.
“If we had a picture house in the town it would be a lot better.”
- James Gradwell, 21, from Kingsmead, said: “I think it’s a nice place to live for older people but for my age group there isn’t anything going on.
“All the shops in Northwich are small independent ones, which is a good thing in some ways but we do need more high street chains and bigger shops.”
- John Greenwood, 29, from Lostock, said: “I love living in Northwich but it’s all I know because I’ve never lived anywhere else.
“There are a lot of new things being built which is promising and hopefully it will get even better but it’s frustrating at times when new developments are announced and nothing comes of it.”
- Chris De La Bastide, 20, from Rudheath, said: “It’s great news that the town is being recognised as a good place to live.”
“Some people might not like how small and confined Northwich is but I think it gives it more of a community feel and everyone knows each other here.”
© Copyright 2001-2014 Newsquest Media Group