WITTON Albion pulled off their result of the season so far as they toppled league leaders Kidsgrove Athletic on their own turf.

Connor Hughes found the target twice and Tom Pope also hit the mark in a 3-1 success that saw Jon Macken’s men climb six places up the Northern Premier League West ladder.

It was a performance that made a mockery of Witton’s two previous woeful showings against Clitheroe and Prescot Cables as they became only the third side to defeat the table toppers in 11 outings.

Hughes was at his clinical best and got the visitors’ noses in front in the ninth minute.

He was forced wide by the rushing home keeper but he delightfully chipped into the net from a tight angle.

Pope made it 2-0 after 22 minutes and although Grove pulled a goal back through Josh Thorpe’s deflected header in the 31st minute, Witton deserved their interval advantage.

Hughes’ second goal after 71 minutes proved to make the game safe for Witton.

Ben Harrison received a nasty cut over his right eye following an elbow challenge that resulted in Kidsgrove’s Lewis Porter being sent off.

Both sides ended the game with 10 men as Harrison, who left the ground heavily bandaged, was unable to continue and Witton had no remaining substitutions left.

Witton are now ninth on the ladder, just two points outside the play-offs places.

Meanwhile also in NPL West, 1874 Northwich achieved a 1-0 home victory against Widnes, ending a run of two losses.

Matty Birchall’s first goal for the club in the 65th minute settled matters, although Greens were living dangerously in the final 20 minutes after being reduced to 10 men.

The win can be put down to strong resistance with battling defence, while they also rode their luck at times.

They were let off the hook at the end of the first half when a defensive error handed James Steele an open goal but he somehow slid his shot wide.

Lucas Weir hit the net in the 51st minute but the goal was ruled out for Fenton Green being offside.

Then Birchall’s finish was sweet to break the deadlock, delicately chipping the ball over the keeper.

1874 then saw out the final 20 minutes with 10 men after Eric Byrne was sent off for a challenge on Jack Byrne, although he appeared to have won the ball.

Jack McGowan hit the crossbar in the 82nd minute and although Widnes piled on the pressure it was as close as they came to snatching a point.

1874 climb three places to 13th as a result in a tightly packed middle order, with only three points separating them from fifth-placed Avro.

Elsewhere, Northwich Victoria bowed out of the FA Vase 3-0 at Bishop Auckland in County Durham.

They conceded in the fourth minute of added time at the end of the first half to put them on the back foot.

The hosts had the win wrapped up by the 77th minute, making it Vics’ third successive defeat.

Waterlogged pitches put paid to the majority of North West Counties League Division One clashes, including Stafford Town versus Barnton and Winsford United against New Mills.