WITTON Albion have progressed in the FA Trophy after coming out on top in the penalty shoot-out at Runcorn Linnets.

The first qualifying round tie ended 0-0 after 90 minutes in sweltering heat at the Apec Taxis Stadium, and then it was straight to penalties.

Elliot Rokka kept his nerve with Witton’s fifth attempt from the spot, with his strike securing a 4-3 success in front of a 663 crowd.

Joe Duckworth, Kingsley Williams and Ben Harrison also converted their efforts, while Cameron Fogerty’s attempt was saved by home stopper Bayleigh Passant.

Witton keeper Harry Wright saved Linnets’ third penalty, hit by Eden Gumbs, and then James Short fired wide for the hosts with their fifth.

Albion did put the ball in the net in the first half of a tight affair but the referee blew shortly before to award Witton a free-kick.

Wright pulled off a cracking double save in the second half, with assistance from a post, to prevent Linnets from going ahead.

Witton had lost 4-2 at Linnets a fortnight earlier in Northern Premier League West.

Meanwhile, Northwich Victoria slumped to a poor 3-0 defeat at home to Tividale in the Midland League Premier Division which has resulted in them dropping into bottom spot.

Vics trailed 2-0 at the break and bottom team Tividale’s first win of the season from seven outings, which has seen them climb five places to 13th, was confirmed seven minutes from time when a low cross was turned home from close range by Lewis Taylor-Boyce.

Dom Dell hit a rocket shot home from distance to put the visitors in front in the 21st minute and then Vics keeper Adam Reid fluffed his attempts to reach a corner delivery, allowing Ryan Snape to slot home the visitors’ second goal just before the interval.

Winsford United are still without any points this season after falling 2-1 at home to Sandbach United in North West Counties League Division One South.

Thomas Stanton gave Blues hope when he pulled a goal back from a great lay-off by Luke Duckworth in the 86th minute but it proved to be too little, too late.

The Ramblers nudged in front in the 19th minute when Robbie Hatton blasted home his spot kick after United had been adjudged to have handled the ball in the penalty area.

That advantage was doubled eight minutes later when Thomas Morris turned in the area and found the back of the net, leaving Blues with a record of 11 straight losses since the season’s start and rooted at the foot of the ladder.

Elsewhere in the division, Barnton have leaped above Droylsden into 10th place after defeating them 1-0 at home in front of a healthy 320 crowd.

Joseph Levey’s 19th-minute penalty decided the outcome.