WITTON Albion repeated their dose of serving up Boxing Day blues for 1874 Northwich.

Albion, 4-1 victors at Townfield on December 26 last year, clinched a 2-1 success on Tuesday afternoon.

They did it against 10 men for the majority of the second half, before 1874 finished the match with only nine players due to a serious-looking Matty Fenton injury late on.

Due to Hednesford Town winning 3-2 at home to Nantwich Town, Witton’s win sent Greens tumbling into bottom position in Northern Premier League West.

Witton, who have now won three of their last five games and stay 15th on the ladder, looked the most likely side to score in the first half, with Joe Duckworth going closest before the deadlock was eventually broken.

Duckworth was clear on goal in the 16th minute but he fired wide.

It was 20 minutes later that Harry Brazell put Witton in front and soon after an effort from the edge of the box by Connor Hughes dropped just wide of the post.

1874’s best effort of the half came at the death when Lucas Weir flicked a header on to the top of the net from a Sam Oliver cross.

The hill to climb got a little steeper for 1874 four minutes into the second period when Matt Woolley was sent off for a second bookable offence.

Damian Crossley made a change soon after, bringing on Jack Marrow in place of Jamie Nicholson, and this worked a treat.

Three minutes after entering play Marrow levelled the scores to lift hopes of the 1874 fans again.

But Hughes was the man to settle the affair, netting Witton’s winner in the 74th minute but they were unable to add to their tally even in the final six minutes when the hosts were a second player short through Fenton not being able to continue at the point of all subs used up by 1874.

After two draws followed by two losses, Crossley is still looking for his first win as 1874 manager.

1874: Ellis Allen, Tom Fagan, Sam Oliver, Matty Fenton, Mark Jones, Lucas Weir, Matthew Birchall, Matt Woolley, Max Chimenes, Eric Byrne, Jamie Nicholson. Subs: Jack Marrow, Sam Adetiloye, Lewis Bradley, Jammal Crawford, Jonny Sodhi.

Witton: Ollie Martin, Mike Koral, Lee Jackson, Ben Harrison, Matt Lowton, Cameron Fogerty, Harry Brazel, Brandon Newell, Connor Hughes, Joe Duckworth, Elliot Rokka. Subs: Kingsley Williams, Oli Roberts, Taylor Kennerley, Oliver Hitchcox, Aarron Grewal.

Meanwhile, Northwich Victoria were defeated 2-0 by Midland League Premier Division leaders Congleton Town 2-0 at the Cleric Stadium.

Both goals were conceded in an eight-minute spell in the second half, after Vics failed to go in front from the penalty spot in the first half.

Vics defended well in the main, but were not able to trouble the Bears goal too often.

The second stanza brought fewer chances, but the game got off to a fast start.

Vics keeper Adam Reid was quick off his line to save one-on-one in the fifth minute and the visitors countered with Marcus Perry sliding Sam Unwin through and he found Callum Parker at the back post but he headed narrowly over.

It was from another counterattack through Unwin that led to a cross from Niall Sultan being handled in the box and the referee pointing to the spot in the ninth minute.

But Perry’s low penalty was saved well down to keeper David Parton’s right.

Congleton rattled the crossbar in the 22nd minute and Reid produced another five save to stop a header finding the back of the net nine minutes later.

The hosts had three shorts at goal blocked by Vics defenders in the 54th minute and Unwin’s pace caused concern for the hosts again a little later when he got past his marker, cut inside and forced a fine save out of Parton.

But it was Congleton doing the pressing from there on and the deadlock was finally broken when winger George Sankey got past Sam Ogundare and curled the ball into the far corner in the 73rd minute.

It was all over when Thomas Hampton’s low drive squeezed in at the far post to leave Vics with only a point to show from their last four games, though they remain 14th in the table.

Vics: Adam Reid, Sam Ogundare, Matthew Clarke, Brad Sixsmith, Frazer Cookson, Brandon Barski, Kobe McWilliams, Sam Unwin, Niall Sultan, Callum Parker, Marcus Perry. Subs: Seydoe Bamba, Seico Camara, Josh Egerton, Archie Angles, Euan Causer.

In the North West Counties League Division One South, Barnton, in only their second game since November 11, were 4-0 winners in a spicy affair at Winsford United.

Three players were sent off, with Blues down to nine men from the 57th minute at which point they already trailed 2-0.

Nivaldo Ferreira put the visitors ahead in the 26th minute and Winsford thought they had equalised through Ross Aikenhead 10 minutes later but the flag went up for offside.

Five minutes later the Villagers took a grip of things when skipper Jack Taylor headed the ball into the back of the net from close range.

A brawl soon after led to Winsford’s Ash Leather and Barnton’s Ferreira being dismissed.

It was 12 minutes into the second half that Adam Stuart received his marching orders as Blues were left with a mountain to climb.

Harvey Woodhouse put the final nail in the coffin with Barnton’s third goal in the 60th minute and Dylan Proctor completed the scoring.

Winsford United are now without a win in their last five matches and stay second from bottom, while Barnton are 10th.