1874 Northwich’s first home game with Damian Crossley in charge ended as a draw but results elsewhere mean they have dropped into the relegation zone.

Lowly Greens battled well to earn a 0-0 result against early promotion contenders Stalybridge Celtic at Townfield, matching the result when the sides met in the second league game of the season.

But they have been leapt in the table by Trafford, who were 1-0 victors at Clitheroe, and are now only one point clear of bottom side Hednesford Town, who beat Newcastle Town 3-0.

Crossley’s crew had the better of the few chances that were created in the Northern Premier League West clash.

A glancing header from Mark Jones and a well-struck shot from Benji Mullarkey, who was a late replacement in the starting line-up for Chris McCann, were both cleared off the line in succession in the fourth minute.

Stalybridge, who have not lost away from home since mid-October and have now extended the sequence to six matches, did not have a shot on target until the 50th minute and it was nothing to trouble the 1874 goal.

Jamie Nicholson had a good effort saved by the visiting keeper in the 72nd minute in the only other chance of note.

Two games in for Crossley and two draws, which followed a run of five successive losses, so the new boss appears to have steadied the ship.

Meanwhile, in the same division, Witton Albion drew 1-1 at Mossley.

Matt Lowton’s curling free kick found the top corner in the 56th minute to give Witton the lead.

But the arrival of Mossley substitute Reece Webb-Foster, a striker signed from Clitheroe in midweek, had a huge impact on the game.

He scored with his first touch in a Mossley shirt, cashing in on a defensive mistake to make it 1-1 in the 72nd minute less than two minutes after joining the action off the bench.

He also came closest to scoring the game’s winner, with an 83rd minute volley forcing a fine save from Ollie Martin.

After successive wins, Albion will be pleased to have got away with their first draw in a league game since August 26.

The point earned keeps them 14th on the ladder.

Meanwhile, Northwich Victoria let a two-goal lead slip late on and were held 2-2 at home by Stourport Swifts in the Midland League Premier Division.

Callum Parker put Vics in front at Barton Stadium after the visiting keeper spilled Sam Unwin’s shot into his path.

And then right on the stroke of half-time Unwin slammed home after some fine creativity in the box by Joe Camozzi.

Stourport, who have not lost a league match since September 30, had given enough warnings to signal the game was not over though, with their striker missing a sitter and Adam Reid producing a finger-tip save to deny the visitors from a free-kick.

Marcus Perry hit the post in the 57th minute and Stourport were more than hanging in there as they were doing a lot of the pressing.

It eventually paid off for them as Elliott Lees cut the deficit in half with a shot that Reid got his hand to before the ball trickled over the line.

And two minutes later, following a scramble in the box, Matt Hanson blasted the ball into an empty net to earn his side a point.

There was one final piece of drama in the closing moments as the Stourport centre back was shown a straight red card for taking out substitute Dylan Switters when he was clean through on goal.

Vics climb one place to 13th thanks to the point they managed to hold on to.

Winsford United fell 2-1 at fourth-placed Abbey Hey in what was their first game for 35 days.

Blues, second from bottom in North West Counties League Division One South, had captain Adam Barlow sent off on the stroke of half time.

They trailed 1-0 at the time thanks to a 15th-minute strike by Ashley Woods.

Winsford got themselves back on level terms at the Abbey Stadium when Ross Aikenhead slotted home a penalty in the 52nd minute.

But the winner was struck 20 minutes later by William Shawcross with a superb finish.

Bottom side New Mills closed the gap to Blues to six points with their first win of the season, 3-1 away to Cammell Laird.