1874 Northwich’s first game under caretaker bosses Matt Woolley and Mark Jones ended in a heavy defeat.

The Greens were defeated 4-0 at home by Bootle at the end of an emotional week in which Wayne Goodison and Paul Bowyer stepped down as co-managers.

It was the third game in a row that 1874 conceded four goals.

While Jones lined up in the heart of the 74 defence as usual, skipper Woolley elected to keep an eye on things from the bench and handed the captain’s arm band to Matty Fenton.

The first half was scrappy but the Greens were in the fight until they conceded twice in the closing stages.

Tom Peterson found the net in the 35th minute and to concede again, this time to Ben Hodkinson, 10 minutes later was a bit of a sickener.

The scoreline stayed that way Hodkinson (80) and Peterson (81) added their second goals for The Bucks.

1874’s third loss in succession leaves them still in 18th spot, two points clear of the bottom two places in Northern Premier League West.

Meanwhile, in the same division, Harry Brazell scored his first goal for Witton Albion as they returned to winning ways.

Jon Macken’s men came from a goal behind to secure their 2-1 success at Newcastle Town.

Tommy Van Der Laan put ‘Castle in front in the 55th minute but midfielder Brazell, signed from Bury last month, responded two minutes later to level matters at Red Industries Stadium.

Prolific striker Connor Hughes netted Albion’s winner in the 74th minute, sealing a result which made a mockery of the 4-0 home loss to Trafford last Saturday.

Witton, who had former Burnley and Aston Villa defender Matt Lawton making his debut, stay 12th, four points away from the top five in a packed middle order.

Elsewhere, Northwich Victoria ended a three-game losing run in the Midland League Premier Division with a 2-2 draw against Darlaston Town in Walsall.

Sam Unwin scored both of Vics’ goals.

The match, Vics’ first since their FA Vase loss at Bishop Auckland last month because of three successive postponements, was packed with incident – including two red cards.

Vics went ahead with their first shot on target in the 14th minute, Unwin’s shot trimming the grass en route to landing in the bottom left corner.

The lead was short lived however.

Almost immediately Niall Battersby fouled on the edge of the box and Darlaston were awarded a penalty.

James Rowland sent Vics keeper Adam Reid the wrong way for 1-1.

The hosts were reduced to 10 men when Lewis Gill was spotted kicking out while on the floor in the 26th minute but they were not left rattled by the depleted number.

Hensley Mills came close to giving Vics the lead with a header in the 30th minute but although the ball sat in the back of the net the flag was up for offside.

Darlaston went in front in the 59th minute courtesy of a diving header from Aaron Bishop but Vics sealed a share of the spoils from an Unwin tap-in following a mistake in the home defence.

The second dismissal of the game came in the 91st minute when Vics’ Dylan Switters argued with the referee over a controversial offside call and he ended up with a second yellow card.

Meanwhile, Winsford United were emphatic 6-0 winners at home against Market Drayton Town in the second round of the Edward Case Cup.

Ross Aikenhead netted twice, including the best-of-the-tie sixth when he lobbed the visiting keeper from distance.

Winsford went ahead through an own goal from an Aikenhead cross in the 20th minute, sparking a flurry.

Within nine minutes Steve Jenyons also found the net with a header and Aikenhead bagged his first from a superb delivery by Jeanny Leblanc-Akpo.

The Gingerbread Men were not without chances but lacked a killer touch, as was the case when Dan Churm hit the post moments after Reece Davies did the same for Blues.

It stayed 3-0 until the 52nd minute when Leblanc-Akpo was fouled in the area but recovered to convert the penalty.

Luke Duckworth netted a second penalty for Winsford in the 88th minute before Aikenhead’s magical moment wrapped up the contest and complete a first win in three outings.

Barnton were defeated 3-0 at inconsistent Stafford Town, leaving them without a win on the road since August 19.

Town, who lost 5-1 at home to Cammell Laird last week but won 5-1 at Eccleshall on their previous outing, netted goals through Jayden Hunter (27, 38) and Ben Herrington (62).

The Villagers drop a place to 10th in North West Counties League Division One South.