WITTON Albion’s inconsistency struck again as they turned in a woeful home display against lowly Trafford.

Jon Macken’s men went from their best performance of the season to their worst as they fell 4-0 at the U Lock It Stadium.

The side was unchanged from the one that won at then table-toppers Kidsgrove Athletic last time out two weeks ago but the displays were poles apart.

Assistant manager Steve Atkinson said: “It was very disappointing and probably the worst I’ve seen us all season.

“I thought the first 10 minutes we started quite brightly, passed it well and got on the front foot.

“But they scored and we sort of, I wouldn’t say collapsed, but we then couldn’t string any passes together, we missed some real gilt-edged chances.

“I think what summed us up really well was that we went through and missed, but within 30 seconds they got a free-kick and scored.

“The game punishes you if you don’t take your chances, but we were well and truly beaten.

“Karl (Marginson) and his team have got their team (Trafford) organised.

“We knew what we were going to come up against as I watched them on Tuesday.

“We had a game plan and we were confident. Did we execute it? No.

“As a group, nobody was probably more than a five out of 10 and if the majority are below a five you’re really going to struggle.

“We need to be an eight or nine all the time to be really competitive but unfortunately we were really poor and that’s really disappointing.

“It hurts. It hurts because we’re at home, it hurts because fans watch us.

“And this is the same team that beat the top of the league last time. Nothing has changed, we started with the same group, we trusted them, we do trust them, but today was a really bad day.

“I’m not one for excuses but maybe the two weeks we’ve had and not played has sort of stopped that progression and how we want to play and has disrupted us.”

It was only Trafford’s second away of the season and they remain second from bottom in Northern Premier League West, while Witton drop to 13th.

For the record, Michael Burke (29, 90), Eddie Servuts (36) and Scott Kay (77) netted for the visitors.

1874 Northwich also conceded four goals away to Clitheroe, who climbed two places into top spot as a result.

With Trafford picking up the win at Witton, it means 1874 are now only two points ahead of them and the relegation zone.

This was the third away game in a row in which 74 have conceded four times.

Clitheroe were three goals to the good by half-time, with two of them from penalties.

Richard Baker made his spot-kick co unt in the 11th minute, as did Sefton Gonzales just before half-time, with those efforts sandwiching Domaine Rouse’s goal in the 22nd minute.

John McGrath completed the scoring in the 76th minute.

Northwich Victoria, who visit 1874 in the semi-finals of the Mid-Cheshire Cup on Tuesday, were not in action as their scheduled Midland Football League Premier Division clash at Bewdley Town fell victim to the wet weather.

In the North West Counties Football League, Barnton suffered a last-gasp defeat at home to table-toppers Brocton.

They thought they had salvaged a draw when William Avon levelled matters at 2-2 in the seventh minute of added time.

But two minutes later Regan Smith hit the winner for the visitors, who were never behind in the Division One South contest.

Connor Haddaway (10mins) and Morgan Payne (18) gave Brocton a 2-0 advantage but Joe Levey pulled a goal back to give The Villagers a lifeline in the 57th minute.

Meanwhile, Winsford United were beaten 2-1 in the same league at Droylsden, with last-gasp heartbreak featuring in this contest too.

Rio Pemberton bagged the winner for the hosts in the second minute of added time on a day when a Winsford win would have seen them leap their opponents and climb out of the relegation zone.

Blues had led from the sixth minute thanks to Ezeikel Eme but JNai Butterfield-Steede levelled matters for the hosts in the 51st minute.