IF this is the game that leaves a play-offs place out of Witton Albion’s reach, then it will also be one they remember without regret.

Or at least not much.

There will be frustration, because they were thwarted by an inspired goalkeeper as well as spurning a string of chances.

But there can be some reassurance too that their opponents, on course to finish inside the top-five later this month, were no better than them. Carl Macauley won’t allow his players to coast from here – on the contrary, he still thinks they can win every game – in case those in front to take a tumble.

He will wonder though, at least on the journey home, what might have happened if his side taken the lead during the opening quarter of an hour.

They ought to have done, and Michael Wilson appeared on a one-man mission to be the scorer.

His header, from James Foley’s corner, had skidded wide of the far post before he blazed wildly over when another landed invitingly.

Perhaps deterred by his earlier miss, he scuffed an identical chance midway through the first-half.

The contact was still strong enough to divert the ball goal-wards, although Albion’s players were convinced a lunging defender stopped it reaching the target with an arm.

Referee Andrew Smith disagreed.

A timeline of Wilson’s attempts at goal was interrupted by two other glorious openings.

Tom Owens was wasteful when directing a free header off-target from Anthony Gardner’s excellent cross, while Farsley custodian Kyle Trenerry blocked brilliantly to deny Will Jones when they came face-to-face.

His next contribution was of equal value to the home team as Nathan Cartman’s goal that followed later.

Jones improvised a looping shot on the half-volley from distance that arced perfectly before Trenerry, back-pedalling, tipped it onto the crossbar.

Farsley, in-form but noticeably fatigued from winning three times in the previous six days, gave themselves a lead to protect on 41 minutes.

Cartman had plenty to do when he latched onto Ben Atkinson’s flick, but feinted one way and then another to create an angle from which he stroking a cute finish past Calvin Hare.

The pattern was identical after the break, and Owens steered wide after Matty Devine and Danny McKenna had combined neatly on the left.

Witton finally notched a goal their dominance deserved on 57 minutes.

Steve Tames’ pass was intended for Jones, who was wiped out unceremoniously by Lewis Turner.

Rather than whistle immediately for a penalty, the match official paused long enough for Hopley to send the loose ball under Trenerry.

Albion had half an hour to find a winner.

Hopley flashed a volley narrowly over after substitute Nick Ryan, on for injured River Humphreys, nodded down Foley’s free-kick.

Tames’ header dropped wide before Witton’s most glaring opportunity to take maximum points arrived with nine minutes left.

From Jones’ pass, Tames’ driven cross to the back post was met by a sliding Hopley.

His connection lacked power though, and a combination of Adam Clayton and Trenerry rescued their side.

Lewis Turner’s driving run forward from full-back almost earned a reward it perhaps deserved when his curling shot sneaked past a post.

It would have been a slap in the face for Witton, who were grimacing already upon realising this was one that got away.

Farsley | 4-4-2 | Trenerry (GK), Baldwin, Clayton, Ellis, Lewis Turner, Ben Atkinson (Murray 65), Nathan Turner, Chris Atkinson, Parkin (Wells 82), Walker (Boyd 90), Cartman Subs not used Harris, McKibbin (GK) Goal Cartman 42 Booked Clayton, Liam Turner, Baldwin (all fouls)

Witton | 4-4-2 | Hare (GK), Gardner, Humphreys (Ryan 54), Wilson, Devine, Tames, Owens, Foley, McKenna (Owen 65), Hopley, Jones Subs not used Williams, Evans, Neild (GK) Goal Hopley 56 Booked Jones (foul)

Referee Andrew Smith

Attendance 198