WITTON Albion pulled off one of the wins of the season so far, with loan ranger Connor Heath sealing the success.

Carl Macauley’s men became only the second side to topple league leaders South Shields when they ran out 3-1 victors at Wincham Park on Saturday.

Heath, on his home debut during a month’s stay from Crewe Alexandra, netted a third goal after 67 minutes that proved to put the game beyond the sea-side outfit.

Although it was the game’s third goal in a six-minute flurry, the north east outfit didn’t really look like they had what it takes on this particular day to square things up again.

Shields, who are now more full-time than part-time on a hybrid working model, got back on level terms after Witton turned round 1-0 to the good but when the hosts responded with two goals in four minutes the three points were in the bag.

After six games without a win, the victory was just what Witton needed.

The rise in confidence with the way the game was panning out was clear to see.

Heath tried an audacious shot at goal from the halfway line six minutes after he had netted his first in red and white.

There was a touch of class about his finish for the goal, too.

He dabbed the ball past onrushing keeper Myles Boney before placing the ball into an empty net.

With Michael Monaghan and new recruit Luke Wall also starting to find their feet, Witton are looking more threatening to go along with the gritty defensive work that’s been a trademark of their campaign so far.

Lively Monaghan earned the penalty in the 37th minute and Danny McKenna steered the spot kick into the top left of the net, well out of reach of Boney who had gone the right way.

That was McKenna’s fourth goal of the campaign.

Sanmi Odelusi initially thought he had levelled matters for the visitors in the first minute of added time to the first half but he was offside.

Although The Mariners had enjoyed more possession, they had not made the most of it.

Wall narrowly headed wide from a Monaghan cross in the 59th minute as Witton sought a second goal.

But then Shields got a stroke of fortune.

Witton keeper Chris Renshaw could only parry an effort on goal and it fell nicely for Robert Briggs to slam home for 1-1 in the 61st minute.

But parity lasted only 120 seconds.

A cracking header from Will Jones restored Witton’s advantage and Heath’s classy effort four minutes later provided the breathing space that allowed the hosts to see the game out.

They did need Renshaw to maintain his good form of late though.

A good save from him was needed to stop a stinging shot from Nathan Lowe in the 80th minute and late on he was equal to a Briggs effort to confirm an enjoyable Non League Day for Wittoners.

The only sour note was yellow cards being shown to Liam Goulding, captain Josh Wardle, Cesaire Lingouba and Jones.

Witton: Chris Renshaw, Cesaire Lingoulsa, James Short, Josh Wardle, Adam Anson, Liam Goulding, Danny McKenna, Michael Monaghan (Tom Owens 88), Connor Heath, Will Jones, Luke Wall. Subs not used: Jack Byrne, Stefan Sorensen, Ryan Neild.