WITTON Albion took a tumble out of the FA Trophy after conceding three goals in six minutes before the break.

And yet they dominated the opening half-hour.

That was no consolation during the interval though.

Workington took the lead against the run of play when Matty Douglas’ header at the back post brought to an end an impromptu game of head-tennis from a free-kick.

Reds needed only 90 seconds to double their advantage when Scott Allison forced the ball past goalkeeper Calvin Hare at his near-post after meeting David Symington’s cross.

When Sam Joel fired low past the visitors’ custodian to make it 3-0, after referee Matthew Corlett had played an advantage following a foul on Jordan Holt in the build-up, Albion were left stunned.

A fourth goal followed in the early stages of the second half when Allison prodded home from close-range after Joel had helped on Symington’s centre.

Witton boss Carl Macauley sent on Steven Tames and Prince Haywood, and moved front man Rob Hopley backwards to help shore up an overworked defence.

A Haywood attempt was blocked by defender Dan Wordsworth before James Foley drilled across the face of goal.

When the ball was returned, the former Marine midfielder was denied by two recovering defenders determined to keep their team’s sheet clean.

By then Albion’s encouraging start felt a lifetime ago.

Tom Owens’ attempt drifted wide of an upright in the fifth minute, and Hopley headed off-target shortly afterwards.

Will Jones fired into the side-netting from a free-kick before Micah Evans teed up Owens for a half-volley that Workington custodian Aaran Taylor tipped over in spectacular fashion.

Workington | Taylor (GK), Douglas, Rowntree, Wordsworth (McLuckie 74), Smith, Wright, Symington (Waterston 80), Holt, Allison, Joel (Wilson 70), Tinnion Subs not used Earl, Whitehead Goals Douglas 29, Allison 30, 48 Joel 32

Witton | Hare (GK), Gardner (Tames 57), Hedley (Lingouba 65), Ryan, Brown, Williams, Evans (Haywood 57), Owens, Hopley, Jones, Foley Subs not used McKenna, Neild (GK) Booked Williams, Brown

Referee Matthew Corlett (Liverpool)

Attendance 401

Match report by Phil Chadwick