WITTON Albion’s season is over after they missed out on a play-off place in agonising fashion.

Their final-day trip to City of Liverpool was a “winner take all” affair in the Northern Premier League West Division, with the victor claiming a spot in the top five and keeping their promotion hopes alive.

Because City of Liverpool were in possession, however, a draw would have been enough for them – and that is what they got as the sides drew 1-1, meaning Jon Macken’s men finished outside the play-off spots on goal difference.

The Purps took a half-time lead thanks to Elliot Morris’ opener but Elliot Rokka levelled matters for Witton just after the break.

Northwich Guardian: Elliot Rokka celebrates his equaliser with the travelling Witton fansElliot Rokka celebrates his equaliser with the travelling Witton fans (Image: Karl Brooks Photography)

Albion pressed and pressed for the winner that would have extended their campaign, but they could not find it meaning they then had to rely on Bootle losing at already-relegated Hednesford Town in order to sneak in alongside their hosts.

However, the Bucks ran out 1-0 winners to bring Witton’s admirable effort to an end.

"It's mixed emotions," Macken said after the game.

"I’m really, really proud of the lads and the club for how far we’ve come, and the support we had today was absolutely phenomenal.

"We went behind to a sloppy goal – they countered us, which we’d told them they were going to do – but the lads’ response was excellent.

"I thought we dominated the game and thoroughly deserved something out of the game.

"Overall, I’m really proud of everything we’ve achieved this season.

"It was a poor start and we’ve got to address that, and at Christmas we were in a poor position.

"I’m gutted because we didn’t achieve what we set out for which is the play-offs, but we’ve got to look at it in a bit of context.

"We’ve got to try and build on that and we will.

"We’ll get over the disappointment pretty quickly and look at what we need to do next year."

Meanwhile, 1874 Northwich’s stay in the division ended in familiar fashion as they were thrashed 5-0 by play-off bound Runcorn Linnets at Townfield.

Oliver Molloy scored twice for the visitors as four goals in 15 minutes either side of half time put the game beyond the hosts, with Lewis Doyle and James Hooper also on target.

Eden Gumbs then rounded off the scoring as Runcorn secured a second-place finish, while 1874 will now prepare for life at Step Five with relegation having been confirmed over Easter.