Northwich Victoria’s final game of the season saw their six-game winning run brought to an end, with a nightmare first half proving costly.

Here’s Peter Tonge’s full verdict on Thursday night’s 3-2 defeat to Uttoxeter Town…

A QUIET start for Vics and they found themselves a goal down after just eight minutes as a ball into the box wasn't dealt with properly and Kieran Wild smashed the ball into the back of the net.

Vics nearly responded a minute later as a cross from Sam Lynch nearly found it was into the top corner.

Then following a neat move down the right, Anton Smith cut the ball back but it just evaded the Vics attackers.

Things then got worse for Vics after 18 minutes as Uttoxeter broke quickly, and the ball was played into the box where Wild flicked a header in off the post.

Will Lloyd fired a shot in from distance which was well saved by the Uttoxeter keeper as Vics tried to get back into the match.

A free-kick on the edge the area was then whipped in by Sam Unwin which the keeper initially spilled but gathered it at the second attempt.

Then, 32 minutes in, another Uttoxeter goal as the ball was again played into the box where David NDene spun his man and finished well to put Town three up.

Three attacks and three goals for the visitors as Vics endeavours came to nought at half time despite having more possession.

Vics made three changes at half time, and they nearly came off when in the 50th minute, Callum Parker was put through by a nice flick but his shot was well put out for a corner, which came to nothing.

Not many chances either way with Vics still having the most of the ball without being able to create anything.

A free kick in the 66th minute from Unwin from 35 yards out wasn't far wide but the match was slowly ebbing away.

However, Vics did manage a lifeline in the 72nd minute as Matty Clarke chased a ball into the area, and just managed to get a crucial touch on it to force it into the net. Game on?

A quiet 10 minutes or so, then in the 85th minute a second goal for Vics as a corner was headed back by Frazer Cookson for young Eli Fisher to head home with his first touch since coming on as a sub when the corner was given.

The drama continued as the Uttoxeter No4 was red carded for pushing Clarke away at a throw in in the first minute of injury time.

Unwin then fired a shot inches over the bar before in the final minute, keeper Adam Reid came up for a corner and got his head to the ball but it was blocked.

A valiant effort from the Vics to come back after a disastrous first half.

Vics: Reid, Camozzi, Cookson, Keyworth, Ogundare, Smith, McWilliams, Lloyd, Lynch, Perry, Unwin. Subs: Switters, Fisher, Parker, Clarke, Pritchard