NORTHWICH defeated a team they lost to twice last season when they tackled Wirral at home in the Cheshire Cup on Saturday.

The coaching team were pleased with the 41-17 success and the overall performance.

Northwich were looking to bounce back from the previous week’s disappointment. Matched against a team that had beaten the blacks on both last seasons meetings would no doubt prove a real test. The weather was unusually sunny for the time of year, and all was set for an entertaining afternoon.

After testing each other out for the opening eight minutes a penalty was awarded to the visitors.

They opted to kick for a lineout and from the secured catch they drove for the line to score the opening try which went unconverted.

From the restart Wirral were penalised for not releasing in the tackle, giving Jack Braithwaite the opportunity to reduce the arrears.

With 20 minutes gone a Northwich scrum was wheeled and the ball popped up to Taylor Haugh who scored a neat try for Braithwaite to convert.

Five minutes later, following a great build-up, Rory Leijdekkers went over for a try which Braithwaite again converted.

On the half hour, from a Northwich attacking scrum the ball was moved to the midfield and Boitumelo Tsatsane showed all his skills in scoring a fine try which went unconverted.

As the half drew to a close the visitors launched an attack. However, Blacks were able to steal the ball and a long pass to man-of-the-match Eli Brizendine allowed him to show excellent footwork and pace to score a 70m try. Braithwaite added the extras for an interval lead of 29-5.

As with the first half it was Wirral who started the brighter of the two teams in the second stanza.

A lineout close to the Northwich try line gave them the opportunity to create a driving maul that the home side were unable to stop. With extras added the visitors were back in the contest.

The next 20 minutes were a stalemate, with neither side able to make a decisive break.

A fine kick from Northwich forced a goal-line drop out. Jack Geraghty collected the ball and provided a pass to Tsatsane who made the decisive break to find Eon Du Preez on the inside who was able to finish off some neat work. Haugh added the extras and the match looked all but over.

From the restart the ball was moved to Haugh who made a telling break and released Brizendine to score his second try.

The remaining 10 minutes belonged to the visitors. They threw everything they had to create a score and their reward came in added time after a period of sustained pressure.

Northwich (15-9, 1-8): Taylor Haugh, Jack Braithwaite, Boitumelo Tsatsane, Jack Owens, Eli Brizendine, Richard Dale, Austin Fernandez, Gabriel Sipapate, Jordan Clarke, Rory Leijdekkers, Patrick Douglas, Tom Clark, Eon Du Preez, Sam Patterson, Joe Christian. Replacements: Jack England, Craig Fortune, Jonny Pym, Jack Geraghty.

Their attention now turns back to the league competition and the visit by Stockport on Saturday, kick-off 3pm.