Peter Tonge’s report on Northwich Victoria’s 2-0 FA Vase win at Goole AFC on Saturday…

VICS overcame Goole AFC without too many serious concerns, with a display of football that will give them confidence going forward as they progress in the FA Vase.

Vics started off well and were on the front foot from the off as Sam Unwin beat his full-back in just the third minute,and put in a low cross that was turned away for a corner, which came to nothing.

However, Vics did take the lead five minutes later as a quick free kick set Unwin down the left again.

He put in a cross which Marcus Perry headed goalwards, forcing the keeper into a good save but he could only parry it to Dylan Switters who swept the ball into the bottom corner.

They nearly increased their lead five minutes later as debutant Rica Seear raced onto a through ball from Perry, turned his man but curled his shot just wide of the post.

Vics were looking comfortable but had a moment of luck halfway through the half as keeper Adam Reid was sold short by a back pass from Joe Camozzi and was forced to bring down the onrushing striker as he was in one-on-one.

No-one would have been surprised by a straight red card, but the referee decided a yellow was sufficient punishment.

Vics were forced into a change at the back as Conor Hughes went off with an injury, but they were still well in control.

Seear nearly capitalised on a mistake in the Goole defence but his shot cannoned off the backside of a defender for a corner.

Chances for Goole were far and few between but they should have equalised just before half time as a free header was put narrowly over the bar.                   

As in the first half, Vics started brightly after the break and after another Seear chance, theyextended their lead in the 51st minute as Perry turned his man and drove into the box, where he beat a second defender and fired a fierce shot into the back of the net.

Vics were comfortable now, but Goole had to push forward and nearly got one back in the 71st minute as first Reid had to dive to his left and push a free kick out for a corner.

From the corner, a Goole header hit the corner of the post and bar and somehow they managed to put the follow-up shot high over from four yards.

Reid was then forced into action soon after as he saved superbly as Goole had a one-on-one with him.

This was the last alarm for the Vics as they finished the stronger, with substitute Callum Parker nearly scored a third as he weaved his way past four defenders before being thwarted by the keeper.

Then Goole's woes were increased in the seventh minute of added on time as Goole's no.4 was forced into bringing down Unwin as he raced through on goal and earned his second yellow of the match to head for an early bath.

Northwich Victoria: Reid, Camozzi, Hughes (Griman), Battersby, Roberts, Kilheeney, Switters (Krakue), Clarke, Perry (Parker), Unwin, Seear. Subs not used: Angles, Pritchard