THERE has certainly been a feeling of déjà vu in Northwich Victoria’s first week of Midland Football League action.

Both the home clash against Studley on Saturday and the visit to Stone Old Alleynians on Tuesday ended 2-2, with Steve Pickup’s men twice coming from behind in each encounter.

They do not play again until they host Selby Town in the FA Vase on Saturday, August 26 – a tie which will take place at Barton Stadium, Winsford, due to the U Lock It Stadium hosting a Witton Albion game that day.

Marcus Perry and Sam Unwin, two of four new Vics signings over the past week, bagged the goals on Tuesday.

Proven goal scorer Perry joins from Charnock Richard, alongside three recruits from Bury – fellow forward Unwin, midfielder Anton Smith and defender Niall Battersby.

“We’ve shown a lot of character again,” said Perry after his scoring debut on his birthday against Stone.

“I thought in the second half we were miles the better side and when it got back to 1-1 I thought we were going to go two, three or four but that’s football."

He has previously worked with Vics assistant manager Matt Barnes at Runcorn Town and highlighted a 'decent relationship' with his new boss Steve Pickup from opposing camps over the years.

“It was a real draw for me to join Vics. I’m glad to be here, glad to get off the mark with my first goal and hopefully there’s many more to come," said Perry, who has also had time with St Helens Town, Atherton Collieries, Pilkingtons, Padiham and Daisy Hill.

“We’ve just got to roll on now into the Vase. We don’t play for 10 days, so we’ve got to have good training this week and next, hopefully get a good win in the Vase and then kick on from there.”

Vics lost the services of left-back Leo Roberts in the warm-up through injury and Pickup felt it took his side time to settle as a result.

"I think losing Leo in the warm up disrupted us a little as we had to change three positions to try and keep our shape," he said.

"Having said that Stone were the better team in the first half. Very physical and direct as we expected and effective at what they do and deserved their half-time lead.

"We made two substitutions to try and stamp our mark on the game, bringing Niall Battersby and Layton Chapman on the pitch which had an immediate effect and we were the much better team second half.

"We had a blatant penalty not given in the first half which I’m still scratching my head about.

"Having said that, a draw in the end was a fair result.

"I am extremely proud of the lads for their reaction in the second half and there was only one team going to win the game should we have played another 10 minutes.

"I want to say congratulations to Marcus Perry and Niall Battersby and Layton Chapman along with Trey Turner who made their debuts as I thought they were excellent and what a birthday present it was for Marcus getting his first goal for the club on his debut.

"Also I want to pay a huge mention to the fans in supporting the lads and the club.

"They are coming out in numbers which is great and both myself and my management team along with the players are very grateful.

"We have a 10 day rest now so there will be four training sessions in between getting us ready for the FA Vase game against Selby Town on the 26th August.

"The team is gelling together but it will take time to form those partnerships you need all over the pitch. Also we may just have a cheeky signing in the pipeline this week that will see us bringing back a fans' favourite but watch this space."

In North West Counties League Division One South, Barnton lost 1-0 at Cammell Laird 1907 while Winsford United were defeated 3-0 at home to Stafford Town.

Blues remain rooted to the bottom of the ladder without any points from five games, while Barnton are 14th after a win, two draws and three losses.

Barnton visit Ashville on Saturday and Winsford host Stockport Town, both 3pm.

Lostock Gralam defeated Middlewich Town 2-1 in the Cheshire League Premier Division on Tuesday to leap over them into second place.

A great header from Jordan Johnson put them in front after 19 minutes.

The Witches pulled level on the stroke of half time but Lostock sealed the win three minutes into the new half when Reece Davies capitalised on a goalkeeping error.

Lostock host leaders Altirncham FC Reserves on Saturday, kick-off 2pm, while Middlewich visit Whaley Bridge Athletic.

Winsford Town stayed top of League Two with a 7-0 victory at Sandbach Town Rambers, with Scott Taylor and Zachary Williams each netting twice and the other goals coming from Will Eaton, Zachary Billinge and Liam Collins.

Town host winless Moore United on Saturday at Winsford Academy, kick-off 2pm.