WINNINGTON Park Rugby Club men’s team produced an impressive performance in a 48-20 win at Broughton Park.

The five-point success should give the side confidence for the final few games of the season.

Park established a 31-13 lead by the break but from the kick-off they were penalised for an infringement at the ruck and had to dig in.

Broughton had some early possession and spun the ball out wide and into the Park 22 but Park picked up a loose ball and cleared their lines.

The hosts continued to attack but Park defended strongly and a chip through was picked up by Benny Elliot, who kicked down field into the BP 22 where the ball was knocked on.

This gave Park a scrum in a great position to attack.

Park secured the scrum and after great hands through the backs Liam Geary beat two defenders to score the first try, which was converted.

A few minutes later, Park were penalised for not rolling away at the breakdown and BP kicked the penalty to close the early gap to four points.

However, Park were looking the stronger side and were now having all the possession and territory.

On 13 minutes Justin Oles powered over from short range to score an unconverted try to extend the lead to 12-3.

BP started to get some possession due to a few errors from Park and kicked for the corner.

They attacked Park’s line and were rewarded with a close-range try which was converted for 10-12.

On 20 minutes Park’s Shaun Underdown was shown the yellow card and BP looked to cash in on the numerical advantage.

A goal line drop out was forced and BP kept the pressure on which led to a penalty for Park being offside.

The penalty was landed as Broughton took the lead for the first and only time at 13-12.

From the restart Park put the pressure on with strong forward carries which took their toll on BP.

Park recycled the ball quickly and put Charlie Hyde over in the corner following some great hands through the backs.

Park were in the driving seat now and on 35 minutes a penalty and further 10 metres for BP indiscipline gave Park a lineout just inside the BP 22.

The visitors won the lineout, set up a maul and then spun the ball out wide to Geary who was tackled five metres out but Park recycled the ball quickly and Elliot passed to Oles who ran a great line and scored his second try of the game, which was converted.

The final points of the half came from a scrum that was won on the halfway line leading to the ball being spun out wide where Hyde chipped forward to collect his own kick and score in the corner, with Elliot converting.

The first quarter of the second half was a more cagey affair.

The deadlock was broken on 52 minutes with BP scoring their second try which was converted successfully.

When Evan Boucher was shown a yellow card for taking a player out at the ruck Park needed to work hard to stand firm.

Park’s good kicking game allowed them to force a goal line drop out and soon after they were awarded a penalty which Elliot landed to extend the lead to 34-20.

From the restart Park won the ball and Elliot saw a gap in the defensive line. After beating three defenders he completed his score from 10 metres inside Park’s own half for a great solo try.

Late on Boucher offloaded to Oles on the halfway line who powered away to score his hat-trick try.

Park: Chris Twigg, Liam Geary, Alex Burrage, James Johnson (Captain), Charlie Hyde, Benny Elliot, Cameron Flanagan, Ross Morrin, Justin Oles, Shaun Underdown, Dave Cross, Gary Dykes, Evan Boucher, Jack England, Dan Williams, Will Morrillo, Matt Treacy, Jake Cornwell

Park’s women were defeated 74-22 at Littleboro RUFC but they never gave up and finished strongly by scoring the last try.