WINNINGTON Park ran out of time as they attempted to complete an astonishing fightback at third-place Bowdon.

They were defeated 38-31, but trailed by 28 points with 15 minutes remaining.

The third converted try which put them back in sight of Bowdon came on the final whistle though, dashing hopes of cementing a draw or even a fourth win of the season.

Park's late rally was at least rewarded with try and losing bonus points, however.

A 19-3 deficit at the interval was reduced when Park won their lineout, got some territory and from a free kick from a scrum Dan Williams took a quick tap and powered over the line for a try converted by Benny Elliot.

Bowdon then took complete control of affairs.

They did not have to work too hard as indiscipline at the ruck gave them field position and after a few phases they scored in the corner for their bonus-point try and a 24-10 lead.

Again, on 65 minutes, Park suffered from indiscipline at the breakdown and Bowdon capitalised with another converted try for 31-10.

Bowdon had their tails up and looked like they were going to win the game convincingly as a break from their own 22 brought their sixth try from a great back-line move and great support play.

Then the momentum changed.

From the restart Park challenged Bowdon and Dave Cross pounced on a loose ball to secure possession.

With quick phase play and strong carries by the forwards, good field position was achieved.

Charlie Hyde took the ball in and offloaded in the tackle to Alex Burrage who broke through the line to score a converted try on 69 minutes for 38-17.

Park were now in the driving seat and Bowdon were suffering from indiscipline which was forced by the visitors starting to dominate the collision and breakdown.

The referee had enough and sent the first of two Bowdon players to the bin.

From a scrum 15 metres out, Park chipped over the defence, Bowdon knocked the ball on and from another scrum five metres out Dan Williams picked up the ball, drove into contact and offloaded to Evan Boucher who powered over for a converted try with four minutes left on the clock.

From the restart Park looked a different team with some strong carries from both forwards and backs to work down the field to get into a scoring position.

Unfortunately a knock-on halted this attack but Park drove back the Bowdon scrum and put them under severe pressure.

Indiscipline off the ball gave the referee no option but to send a second Bowdon player to the bin.

With a penalty 10 metres out, Park packed down and Williams took the ball into contact, it was quickly recycled as there was an overlap on the left side but Bowdon covered Liam Geary well.

Park reset again and Evan Boucher picked up at close quarters to score the bonus-point try which was converted by the faithful boot of Benny Elliot.

It was a tough game and Park left it late but put in a stirring finish to narrowly miss out on a win which should nevertheless provide some confidence ahead of Vale of Lune's visit to Burrows Hill on Saturday.

Park: Chris Twigg, Liam Geary, Alex Burrage, Will Morrillo, Charlie Hyde, Benny Elliot, Cameron Flanagan, Dan Williams, James Johnson (Captain), Matt Treacy, Gary Dykes, Evan Boucher, Jake Cornwell, Shaun Underdown, Justin Oles, Ross Morrin, Dave Cross and Tom King.