IN their first game in more than a month, Witton Albion were beaten at home by neighbours Warrington Town.

That was despite them taking a second-minute lead, with James Lawrie sending a long-range effort into the Warrington goal.

However, Jay Harris' double and goals from Josh Amis and Sean Williams meant the visitors left the U Lock It Stadium with the points.

Read sports reporter Matt Turner's post-match verdict below

IN the end, Witton Albion’s period of inactivity seemed to catch up with them in this game.

While the scoreline may look a convincing one in Warrington Town’s favour, Albion will go away from the contest wondering what might have been.

Had they made more of a first half in which they were comfortably the better side, things may have turned out very differently.

Even after James Lawrie’s early opener – a long-range effort that squeezed past Dan Atherton in the visitors’ goal – they looked composed and full of energy.

They won second balls, they stifled most of what the visitors threw at them and going the other way, they looked dangerous.

Jawad Jebrin had Warrington left-back Matt Regan on the verge of a red card before he was spared by a half-time substitution while behind him, debutant right-back Joe Ferguson enjoyed a strong Witton bow on loan from Blackburn Rovers.

Jebrin had a strong-looking penalty shout turned down by referee Barry Lamb while he was only denied a tap-in from Callum Saunders’ pull-back by a critical intervention from retreating Warrington man Matt Grivosti.

As if to sum up the fine margins nature of this game, the visitors took the lead less than a minute after the second of these chances. It was a lead they would not relinquish.

While there was little he could have done about the other three goals, Greg Hall in the Witton goal will be disappointed he allowed Jay Harris’ tame effort to sneak beyond him to send his side into the break behind.

It capped an afternoon the keeper will probably prefer to forget, with his handling and distribution often leaving something to be desired.

There was plenty to build on at the break, but perhaps understandably following such a long lay-off, the second-half display lacked the same punch.

It meant that, having added to their lead, the visitors were able to hold Albion at arm’s length pretty comfortably save for Atherton saving well from Saunders after he strode through one-on-one.

Games will now come thick and fast for Carl Macauley’s men and they have plenty of catching up to do.