1874 Northwich appear to be finding their feet at their new level.

Now, co-managers Paul Bowyer and Wayne Goodison will be looking for their side to push on, starting with the visit of Widnes to Townfield on Saturday.

They are safely ensconced in mid-table in the Northern Premier League West Division – comfortably clear of the relegation places and given their form – only one defeat in their past six league outings – they can start to look up rather than down.

In theory at least, confidence will be high after securing their most notable result of the campaign last time out.

Saturday say them pick up a highly impressive 5-2 victory at a play-off chasing Trafford side that were previously unbeaten at home.

Jack Owen takes a look back at a memorable afternoon for 1874 at Shawe View…

STARTING on the front foot, 74 controlled the opening exchanges with Trafford having to defend hard to keep the waves of attacks at bay.

However, it was the hosts who opened the scoring against the run of play.

Mike Koral was adjudged to have fouled Max Hazeldine and the forward composed himself to slot the penalty down the middle, sending Tony Aghayere the wrong way.

74 rallied – Koral overlapped from right back and stung the palms of Cooper in the Trafford goal, who parried behind for a corner The deserved equaliser came on the 38th minute – Mackenzie O’Neill was brought down on the edge of the area and Lucas Weir struck a perfectly-hit free kick in to the bottom left corner.

The second half began with a moment of controversy – Joe Woolley seemed to beat the offside trap and he fired a sweetly hit volley over Cooper which sparked jubilant scenes in the stand behind the goal.

However, after a few minutes of consultation between linesman and referee, the goal was ruled out for offside.

Woolley wasn’t to be denied for long – a ball broke his way on the edge of the area and he hit a curled effort with his left foot which nestled in to the top corner of the goal with Cooper planted on the spot.

Trafford, while for the majority having to defend against a relentless 74, drew level once again against the run of play as Connor Hughes struck a belter of a left-footed effort into the roof of the net from just inside the area.

74 regained their lead two minutes later as O’Neill got his first goal for the club, nodding home on the line a cross from Jake Parker after the ball diverted off Trafford captain Kiel O’Brien Weir was enjoying himself now – he struck another free kick effort which dipped at the right time to cannon off the crossbar and be hammered clear by the Trafford defenders Ash Woods capped a personal impressive display by grabbing his fourth goal in five games.

He raced on to a long ball from Jake Parker, used his strength to brush off his marker and coolly slotted home to give a much more comfortable margin.

Captain Matt Woolley was next to get on the scoresheet – a penalty was given as Parker was brought down by O’Brien, who saw red for his efforts to deny Parker a chance on goal.

Woolley sent Cooper the wrong way to seal a richly deserved three points at a very hard place to go.