Peter Tonge tells the full story of Northwich Victoria’s dramatic 2-1 victory at Vauxhall Motors on Saturday…

THE first half proved uneventful in terms of goalmouth action, though Luke Sephton was looking lively and was the first to have a shot in the thirrd minute as he cut inside from the right and fired a shot not far over the bar.

Motors didn't have their first serious attempt on goal until the 19th minute when Vics conceded a free kick just outside the penalty area and Leo Riley stepped up to fire his effort just over the bar.

Midway through the half, Sephton again did well to win the ball back and send Carl Grimshaw down the right side of the area. He laid the ball back to Ryan Winder, whose shot didn't match the build-up play.

In the 31st minute, Motors countered quickly down the right through Kieron Knapper, who cut inside after beating his man but curled his shot just wide.

Vics had the last chance of the half as Winder received the ball on the edge of the area and turned but lashed his effort over the top. An uninspiring first half from both teams.

Not for the first time this season, the second half started with Vics conceding within a couple of minutes of the restart.

A free kick was swung in low from the left and ended up at the feet of Marcus James, who stabbed the ball past Cheetham.

Vics nearly got back on level terms quickly just a few minutes later – Matty Clarke ran onto a loose ball and volleyed it goalwards, forcing Mike Dixon in the Motors net into a fine save.

The match then went back into quiet mode for the next 20 minutes or so with lots of effort but little goalmouth action.

Vics had half a chance in the 71st minute as Grimshaw beat the last man but couldn't get the strike he wanted to beat Dixon.

Three minutes later, it was Grimshaw again who went close again as he latched onto a ball from Brandon Barski over the top but his volley went just over the bar.

Vics then introduced substitute Chad Whyte into the action in the 76th minute and just four minutes later, he rose in the area to flick head home the equaliser from a fine Joe Camozzi cross.

Motors were reduced to 10 men as James was sin-binned for arguing whether the ball had crossed the line before being cleared.

Vics were on top now and going for the winner – Whyte and Grimshaw played a one-two which led to the former's shot going just wide.

Then, in the 89th minute, another cross was played into the Motors area and after Whyte won the header before the keeper could get there the ball fell to Ash Dunn four yards out and he gleefully smashed the ball home.