MATTY Birchall's hat-trick earned Northwich Victoria three precious points at Wincham Park.

The forward had got Vics off to a dream start as he scored twice in the first nine minutes.

However, the visitors were back on level terms before the interval thanks to goals from Kyle Scorah and Callum Scorah.

Birchall rounded off his treble 20 minutes from time with what turned out to be the winner, with the visitors having Luke Stephens sent off late on.

Watch Vics assistant manager Steve Pickup's post-match reaction below...

Here's Peter Tonge's verdict on proceedings...

VICS displayed a grittiness to gain a vital win.

Vics got off to the best possible start to this match as they raced into a two-goal lead within the first ten minutes.

Firstly, Ryan Winder produced a defence-splitting pass for Matty Birchall to run through one-on-one with the keeper and coolly slot the ball home in the fourth minute.

Then five minutes later, it was the hard-working Chad Whyte hassling the Liverpool defence and winning the ball off Luke Stephens before slipping the ball off to that man Birchall, who was again one-on-one with the keeper and this time he curled the ball past him to make it 2-0 to Vics.

Vics were the forced into a change in only the 16th minute as Leo Roberts was forced off with an injury, to be replaced by Roman Allen. 

AFC Liverpool were pushing forward now trying to get back into the match and in the 19th minute, Dan Cockerline fired in a long-range effort which went inches wide.

Two minutes later, they got their goal as Darren Thomas picked out Kyle Schorah with a low cross and he finished well, firing a shot wide of Chris Cheetham in the Vics net.

Liverpool were now having the better of the game, pushing Vics back but they were creating few chances apart from the odd corner and a long-range free kick from Cockerline.

Vics looked to be going into the break ahead but were undone by an absolute screamer by Callum Schorah right on the stroke of half time.

AFC Liverpool started the second half with their tails up and forced Vics back.

Vics were indebted to a superb tackle by Allen to nick the ball from McCarthy in the box for a corner when it looked like a certain goal.

McCarthy had another chance in the 62nd minute as his shot was blocked, and the rebound fired against the post when he should have scored.

Vics were now growing into the match more and in the 67th minute, Brandon Barski nearly flicked a corner into the net but it didn't quite come off.

The match was getting a little fractious now and a minute later, Brad Owens was lucky to escape with a yellow for a little kick out at Josh Winder after he beat him to the ball.

Vics took the lead again in the 70th minute as Ryan Wiinder floated in a free kick from deep to find the head of an unmarked Birchall, who flicked the ball expertly past Potter in the AFC Liverpool net.

Minutes later, tensions flared after an innocuous tackle as both teams got involved in a melee which resulted in Josh Winder for Vics and Kyle Schorah for Liverpool receiving a yellow card each.

Vics nearly extended their lead in the 81st minute as Ryan Winder sped down the right and crossed the ball low to the near post, where Whyte flicked the ball goalwards but the shot was blocked by Potter.

Two minutes later, AFC were down to 10 men when Josh Winder skinned Stephens, who crudely chopped his man down. The referee had no option but to show a red card.

Liverpool were now throwing everything at Vics and in virtually the final minute, they forced a corner which had to be cleared off the line for another corner – too close for comfort.

Vics: Cheetham, Camozzi, Barski, Misambo, Roberts (Allen), Dunn, R Winder, Kelly (J Winder), Clarke, Birchall, Whyte (Mather). Subs not used: Kouris, Egerton