Peter Tonge brings us the full story of Vics' 2-1 FA Vase defeat to Bury AFC on Saturday...

A QUIET and slightly scrappy start to the match with few chances being created.

Vics had the first half-chance in the fourthth minute but Ryan Winder's free kick was fired straight at Atkinson in the Bury net.

In the 14th minute, Bury forced a couple of corners, the second of which saw Hunt produce a great save from Chris Cheetham and then the follow-up shot went way over the bar.

Vics were now putting on the pressure more and in the 20th minute, Winder floated in a free kick which Leo Roberts got his head to but the ball went narrowly past the post.

However, another free kick in the 24th minute did produce a goal as Winder floated it directly into the net, though Brandon Barski may have got a slight deflection on it.

Seven minutes later, Chippendale forced Cheetham into tipping the ball over the bar from a free-kick but Vics were generally looking comfortable as they headed into half time one up.

Bury got back into the game almost immediately after the second half started as Kris Holt strode forward and was allowed time to get a stinging shot away, which Cheetham could only parry away to leave Chippendale with the easy chance of slotting the ball into an empty net.

The next 25 minutes or so were fairly uneventful, with Bury having most of the ball but both teams creating few chances.

Vics broke away in the 76th minute and Josh Winder won the ball in the area leaving himself one-on-one with the keeper but he coolly squared the ball across to the waiting Matty Birchall, who only had to slot the ball into the waiting net but he slotted it wide instead – what a chance!

The misery for Vics was compounded just five minutes later as Bury broke away after a Vics free kick and somehow had two players free on goal, and Chippendale fired into the bottom corner giving Cheetham no chance.

Bury then had a chance to finish it just three minutes later as Tom Greaves fired in left foot shot which Cheetham managed to get his hand to to push round the post.

Then in the last minute, Vics went agonisingly close as Misambo rose highest to head a free-kick inches wide of the left post.

Vics: Cheetham, Camozzi, Barski, Misambo, Roberts, Dunn (Kelly), R Winder, Schofield, Whyte, Birchall, J Winder. Subs not used: Allen, Clarke, Mather