STEVE Wilkes declared himself "embarassed" by his Northwich Victoria side's display in defeat to Skelmersdale United last night.

Vics were looking for a third victory in a row that would have moved them up to second in the North West Counties League Premier Division table.

However, they were well beaten by their visitors at Wincham Park.

Watch Wilkes' damning verdict of his side's display below...

Here's Peter Tonge's full match report...

A LACKLUSTRE display as they fail to take the chance to move up to second

A match that Vics never really got involved with, though they did have the first half-chance in the fourth minute when Ben Barnes in the United net failed to collect a high bouncing ball but Matty Birchall couldn't take full advantage as he attempted to prod the ball home.

Skelmersdale then broke quickly down their left through Mike Howard, whose low cross was allowed all the way to the far post where Elliott Morris was waiting to fire the ball into the net. Far too easy!

Skelmersdale then tried to press home their advantage and there was wave after wave of attacks, with their wide players causing havoc in the Vics backline at every opportunity.

Morris again went close in the 17th minute as a lovely lobbed shot went just wide of the post.

Vics had a rare chance in the 24th minute as a corner was floated in and Roman Allen had a free header which went over the top of the bar.

Skelmersdale finally got the second goal their pressure deserved in the 42nd minute as a fine through ball from Tom Croughan split the Vics defence and Morris fired home

Any thoughts of Vics managing to get back in the match were quickly dispelled in the 54th minute as Croughan fired in a long range effort which found the net via the post. 3- 0 and nothing more than United deserved.

At least Vics then had an attempt on goal in the 57th minute as good play around the box lead to Matty Clarke firing a curling effort just over the bar.

However, United were awarded a penalty just two minutes later as Allen pushed his man in the back but Chris Cheetham pulled off a fine save low to the right from Howard's attempt.

With Skelmersdale content with their three-goal lead and the introduction of Chad Whyte and Tom Schofield to the Vics line-up, Vics were having more of the ball now but still giving the ball away sloppily at times.

In the 66th minute, Josh Winder curled a beauty of a cross in which Chad Whyte flicked just past the post – a good chance.

Four minutes later, Vics were awarded a free kick right on the edge of the area which Ryan Winder floated in onto the head of Rudy Misambo, but his header was deflected wide for a corner.

Vics finally cut the gap in the 82nd minute as another Ryan Winder cross was headed into the net by Whyte to give Vics a glimmer of hope.

However despite their best period of the match it was all too little, far too late as United ran out deserving winners.