DESPITE a red card and picking up injuries Barnton's impressive results at the start of the new North West Counties League season continued with a 3-0 win against Cheadle Town.

Eden Gumbs netted the second and third goals, to add to his hat-trick in Sunday's 4-0 success against Swallownest in the FA Vase, before bowing out with an injury.

George Farrelly also netted, but was later sent off, and Connor Anderson's services were lost to injury in the second half.

The Villagers' joint manager Liam Page said: “We were very good again.

"We controlled the game and dealt with their threat.

"When their keeper is awarded man of the match it says a lot. We could’ve had a couple of more goals but he kept them in the game.”

He added: “Going down to 10 men and losing key players to injuries was an obvious blow, but last season we would have folded and let them back into the game.

"We are a young team, but we are learning every week. Keeping the clean sheet and discipline for us as a management team is perhaps the most pleasing thing to come out of tonight.”

Midfielder Farrelly got Barnton off to the perfect start when he took advantage of a defensive mix-up and finished easily past Marcus Burgess in the Town goal.

Burgess was then called into action shortly after denying Deklan Hill from close range as Gumbs went close with an effort from distance.

Henry Limpitishi was denied by a fantastic low block by Arran Lyons as the visitors started to find their feet, but Gumbs was then on hand to punish the miss with a fantastic solo effort that he finished emphatically past Burgess to double the Barnton lead.

Brian Matthews then went close for Cheadle Town but his effort went narrowly wide as he got on the end of a superb cross from Pat Devlin, but the chances for Barnton kept coming and this time Burgess in the Cheadle net pulled off a fantastic double save to keep out Hill and then Gumbs.

Farrelly and MaCauley Clifton then both had chances but were unable to extend their side's lead any further, before Devlin struck the post for Cheadle up at the other end.

The second half saw the visitors turn to the bench but they were unable to create sustained pressure as the Barnton back line held firm.

Farrelly was sent off for foul and abusive language after a foul had been committed against him, and with the resulting free kick Gumbs was on hand once again with an excellent low finish to extend the Villagers lead.

Despite picking up injuries to Gumbs and Anderson during the second half Barnton held firm with 10 men and Lyons pulled off a great save late on to preserve his clean sheet.

Barnton: Lyons, Hunt, Jones, Forster, Avon, Botell, Clifton (Lambert), Farrelly, Anderson (Djalo), Hill, Gumbs (White). Unused Sub: Williams