PERHAPS 1874 Northwich should have seen it coming.

Widnes had equalised in the last minute in each of their previous two matches this week, coincidentally against Northwich Victoria and Barnton.

Billy Webb’s leveller didn’t arrive quite that late, but that will be of no comfort for 1874 Northwich.

They have let slip two-goal leads now in successive matches.

While that will be a concern to co-managers Paul Bowyer and Wayne Goodison, they will take heart too from how their side attacked for the first hour.

After Brad Smart and Jack Graham had both tested 1874 goalkeeper Greg Hall, the visitors took the lead.

Matthew Woolley, on his 100th appearance as captain, slipped a pass into Scott McGowan’s path.

The striker drilled low towards the far post, and Sam Hind steered in from close range.

A second goal arrived on 25 minutes, this time Kazim Waite-Jackson slotting the ball past custodian Richie Mottram from eight yards.

Widnes presented an occasional threat on the counter, and Kevin Pollard’s attempt was deflected over the bar before Andy Gillespie hooked high at a corner.

The visitors looked more likely to score next though, and Waite-Jackson’s effort from distance fizzed wide.

Dylan Sweeney smuggled Adam Whitlock’s angled free-kick off the line, while Taylor Kennerley blazed high from the resulting corner.

1874 might have ended the contest early in the second half, and McGowan’s drive hit the woodwork after Paul Connor’s run had created an opening.

Widnes raised their own hopes of a third successive comeback when they found the net on 55 minutes.

Hall picked up the ball, only to be penalised for handling a back-pass.

Lee Jackson was brave to block Luke Edwards’ free-kick, only for Pollard to steer a volley past Hall from close range when a corner that followed found him in space.

McGowan again went close to securing maximum points for the visitors, only for his scuffed shot to creep wide following a counter.

Webb, on for Gillespie, announced his arrival by hitting a shot on the turn that Hall stopped.

The Northwich goalkeeper was decisive again on 70 minutes; first he blocked Webb’s shot, then denied the front man again from the rebound.

Edwards tried next, and his effort struck a defender before Hall saved low next to an upright.

He intervened again to deny Tony Donaldson, but could do nothing to prevent Webb scoring an equaliser after reaching a through-ball ahead of Jack Lever.

Widnes | Mottram (GK), Roberts, Sweeney, Sheen, Burke, Pollard, Graham (Davies 70), Edwards (Whyte 78), Gillespie (Webb 59), Donaldson, Smart Subs not used Mitchell, Fielding Goals Pollard 55, Webb 87 Booked Smart

1874 | Hall (GK), Connor, Lee Jackson (Haughton 77), Pritchard, Lever, Waite-Jackson, Whitlock, Matthew Woolley, McGowan, Hind, Kennerley (Woods 72) Subs not used Riley, Henry, Spencer (GK) Goals Hind 12, Waite-Jackson 25

Referee Mark Reeves

Attendance 155                   

Match report by Garry Clarke