YOU could be forgiven for thinking Ossett would have seen it coming.

After all, it’s not like 1874 Northwich haven’t left it late to score a leveller previously this season.

Instead Grant Black’s men celebrated wildly after skipper Alex Peterson had steered in his second goal of a compelling contest in the first minute of added time.

Less than 60 seconds later, substitute Adam Whitlock rapped in a reply at the other end.

It felt more like a victory for his side, who will now contest a fourth FA Cup replay of the campaign in West Yorkshire on Tuesday.

The youngster, a replacement in two of the past three games, held his nerve to drill with power past goalkeeper Leigh Overton.

After failing to hit the target from a previous chance, when Jake Parker lifted an inviting pass into his path, it was the perfect follow-up.

And 1874’s supporters let him know as much too.

The late to and fro, with the rivals trading goals while the clock ran down, led to a fair outcome.

However Northwich were playing catch-up from the fourth minute after Peterson, able to steady himself before shooting, jabbed in an opening goal for the visitors.

Ossett, unbeaten on their travels this term, duly took control.

Anthony Mackie and Ashley Jackson conjured an opening, only for Danny Meadowcroft to block the former’s drive.

1874 did not get a glimpse of goal until almost half an hour had passed, when Scott McGowan scampered onto Meadowcroft’s headed clearance.

He skipped around Overton before cutting back for Mark Jones but the midfielder, making his first appearance of term, dragged his attempt wide.

Kai Hancock’s attempt was parried to safety by 1874 custodian Greg Hall at the other end before a headed attempt from the same player lacked the force to double his side’s advantage.

1874 improved after the interval, winning a higher percentage of second-balls, and applied pressure to their higher-ranked guests.

An equaliser arrived on 58 minutes, when Jones used the pace on Paul Connor’s cross to steer a deft header into the corner out of Overton’s reach.

It buoyed the home team, and Taylor Kennerley called the Ossett number one into action shortly afterwards.

1874 went closer still when Alex Low failed to cut out Jack Pritchard’s clearance, leaving McGowan to run clear.

However Isaac Assenso timed brilliantly a sliding challenge that stripped the striker’s shot of power and Overton saved smartly.

Substitute Seon Ripley headed high from fellow replacement Steve Ridley’s corner for Ossett, while Pritchard threw himself in the way of Hancock’s skidding drive after Peterson had flicked on cleverly.

A surface made sodden by a torrential downpour made legs tire quicker, and yet both teams pushed for a decisive goal.

The visitors’ final sub, Ryan Ferguson, headed wide from Ripley’s assist before Whitlock shot high with only Overton to beat after Parker had swept a glorious assist his way.

He will have felt worse when Peterson gleefully converted Hancock’s cross at the end of an attack started by Assenso’s raking pass after 1874 had carelessly ceded possession.

However Ossett’s swagger disappeared the moment Whitlock fired in a deserved leveller.

1874 | 4-4-3 | Hall (GK), Connor, Meadowcroft, Pritchard, Lee Jackson, Jones, Matthew Woolley, Parker, Beadle (Whitlock 81), McGowan, Kennerley Subs not used Riley, Lever, Woods, Clayton, Waite-Jackson, Spencer (GK) Goals Jones 58, Whitlock 90 (+2) Booked Kennerley (ungentlemanly conduct), Pritchard (foul)

Ossett | 3-5-2 | Overton (GK), Snowden, Low, Assenso, Mackie (Ripley 64), Wright (Ferguson 81), Gregory, Templeton (Ridley 57), Ashley Jackson, Peterson, Hancock Subs not used Smith, Owen, Pugh (GK) Goals Peterson 4, 90 (+1) Booked Mackie

Referee Simon Brown

Attendance 387