A STRANGE game that Vics generally controlled but had to rely on the brilliance of goalkeeper Mike Hale to keep the score down to two, writes Peter Tonge.

Vics started well and in the 4th minute, Joe Camozzi whipped a ball into the middle but Brandon Barski's flicked header was well saved by Mike Emery in the Rylands net.

Four minutes later, a quick break from a Rylands corner by Vics led to Aaron Burns finding Saul Henderson, who feeds Barski down the left but his cross is claimed by Emery just before Camozzi could get there.

In the 18th minute, Rylands should have taken the lead as the Vics defence missed a long ball forward, which allowed Kane Drummond through on goal one-on-one, but his shot is placed wide not only of Hale but the post too

Rylands were pressing now and came close again when a free kick was played into the box where Freddie Potter headed down to Elliot Morris, whose snap shot is just about cleared by the Vics defence.

A minute later, Rylands did take the lead when Potter received the ball on the left corner of the area and chipped it into Drummond, who somehow stabbed the ball to Morris who coolly slotted home from five yards out.

It was Vics' turn to start pressing now and forced a corner in the 25th minute after good work by Tom Kilifin.

The corner was swung in and met by Kilifin at the back post but his header was inches wide.

A minute later and more good work by Vics as Burns flicks a ball into Kilifin, who fed it back to Burns but his shot is deflected into the keeper's arms.

Vics' best chance of the first half came in the last minute as Kilifin beat his man on the edge of the area and played in Henderson, whose first-time shot is straight at the keeper.

An end-to-end start to the second half as substitute Dylan Glass broke through the Rylands defence and forced his way into the box, but his shot curled over the bar.

Rylands then went down the other end and Potter found himself clear on goal, forcing Hale into a great save and the rebound was cleared for a corner.

In the 51st minute, a Henderson header is handled by a Rylands defender in the box, but somehow the referee or linesman don't see it and give a corner instead.

Three minutes later, a penalty to Rylands as they broke quickly from a Vic corner and Scarisbrick tried to take the ball round Hale, who got a hand to the ball to push it wide, but the referee decided he had brought the man down instead.

Hale is booked and a penalty awarded, Potter steps up and slots the ball down the middle as Hale dives to his right.

Then, confusion reigns as Hale complains and is shown a second card for dissent and is sin binned for 10 minutes. However the linesman then tells him he's been sent off and off down the tunnel he goes.

The referee then decides it was only a sin-binning and not a sending off and Hale is brought back onto the sidelines for 10 minutes. All very confusing, especially for the crowd who had no idea what was happening.

Matty Clarke took Hale's place in net during his absence but Rylands failed to take advantage and couldn't test him

In the 72nd minute, a long throw by Clarke was headed on by Henderson but Burns couldn't get enough on it to test Emery.

Six minutes later, Vics do get the ball into the net as Burns challenges Emery to a long ball but a foul is given for Burns challenge.

Rylands then had another one-on-one chance in the 84th minute as this time Crilly is put through by Wolhunter, but again Hale is equal to the test.

Vics: Hale, Henry, P Clarke (Glass 44), Forbes, Dunn, Barski, Camozzi, M Clarke, Kilifin (Burns), Henderson (Powell 75). Sub not used: Robinson