STICKING to their guns served 1874 Northwich well as they concluded a stunning fightback at Skelmersdale United with a late Callam Gardner winner.

Co-manager Wayne Goodison said there was no panic at half-time after his side entered the changing rooms 2-0 down but two penalty strikes and a magnificently taken effort from Gardner five minutes into added time ensured a 10th straight win for the North West Counties Premier Division leaders.

"We weren't that disappointed at half-time," admitted Goodison.

"We thought we'd played well, we'd created chances and perhaps a bit more care with the final ball in that first half would have brought a couple of goals.

"We just said that we've played well all season, we weren't going to change the way we were playing.

"And we knew that if we kept that tempo up then we'd get them under pressure.

"I think in the second half some of the movement and some of the passing and the ability to get in there was outstanding."

Goodison revealed added motivation came from an unlikely source before he and fellow co-manager Paul Bowyer spoke to the players during the interval.

"On the way in at half-time one of their players was keen to say a few things and that kind of rallied our lads a little bit," he revealed.

"At 2-0 down though there was no panic, even in the dressing room.

"They were together with each other and knew they could get back into it."

Gardner's sublime winner sent the 1874 fans bananas, coming as it did so late in the game, six minutes after they'd got back on level terms, and completing the second-half fightback.

"The third goal came from an unbelievable ball by Jacko (Lee Jackson)," said Goodison.

"Callum is the kind of player you want in those positions because he's every chance of finishing them and it was a great finish."

That sixth goal in five starts for Gardner resulted from tremendous skill in bringing Jackson's in-bound aerial ball under control in an instant, before cutting inside and flashing a low rasping shot across the keeper and into the far corner.

He also netted a 50th-minute penalty, following Stuart Wellstead being brought down, to kick-start the 1874 response and Matt Woolley was also on target from the spot in the 89th minute for what was looking like a deserved share of the spoils at that point.

Goodison reserved a final word for Harry Cain on the right flank.

"Harry absolutely terrorised them all day," said Goodison.

"The left back did not know what Harry was doing.

"They had to move him out of the way, put another one on and he got the same treatment.

"Harry and Mike Koral down that side were outstanding."