NORTHWICH Victoria's run of games without a win is extended to five on the back of defeat against Bootle at Wincham Park.

And as per recent form, Vics lost despite scoring the first goal.

Saul Henderson put Vics ahead from the penalty spot in the 43rd minute, but the visitors hit back after the break.

Cameron Dalton levelled matters three minutes after the restart and Carl Peers sunk what proved to be the winning goal in the 64th minute.

Bootle dominated the first half but rarely threatened. And when they did, goalkeeper Mike Hale was more than equal to the task.

In the 14th minute, Brandon Barski was the saviour when he produced a great last second tackle to deny Peers a shot on goal.

Hale produced a great double save as he got down low to deny a goal-bound effort before diving on the loose ball.

Vics' first chance came in the 26th minute when Tom Powell did well down the right, got in a cross which Joe Camozzi stretched to shoot, and Saul Henderson flew in at the far post to try and poke the ball home as the keeper dived on the ball.

Vics took the lead when they were awarded a penalty as Powell was brought down in the box after turning his man superbly.

Henderson slotted the resultant penalty away calmly.

The first few minutes of the second half were the changing point of the match.

In the 46th minute, Aaron Burns' blocked shot fell inches the wrong side of the post, and from the resultant corner drilled in low by Ryan Winder Pollard struck a fierce shot which was superbly saved by Jack McGovern in the Bootle net.

The next minute, the ball was at the Vics' end, and it was Hale's turn to produce a brilliant save from a hooked shot by Bootle, but the ball fell kindly to Dalton who reacted quicker than the Vics' defence to slot the ball home to equalise.

Vics should have regained the lead in the 59th minute, after the best move of the match when Burns collected a goal kick and played it out wide to Henderson on the right who crossed it into the path of the onrushing Matty Clarke but his shot was high over the bar.

Bootle took the lead five minutes later as Peers collected the ball on the left edge of the area and was allowed to run unchallenged centrally and fire a shot into the back of the net.

Vics huffed and puffed to get back into the match, but apart from a Josh Winder effort, they created little and Bootle took a deserved victory.

Vics slip to 12th in the North West Counties Premier Division ahead of Saturday's trip to Hanley, kick-off 3pm. Steve Wilkes' side then host Stockport County in the Cheshire Senior Cup second round on Wednesday, kick-off 7.45pm.

Vics: Hale, Henry (J Winder 80'), Doran, Barski, Peters, Camozzi, Pollard, R Winder, Powell M Clarke 49'), Henderson (Pilkington 74'), Burns. Subs not used: Dorney.

Additional reporting: Pete Tonge