BOTH Witton Albion and Warrington Town will go into their Boxing Day meeting on the back of defeats.

And you have to say as gutted as Witton will be feeling to have ended their 2019 home campaign on this note, they will arguably feel better about their 3-2 home loss to Whitby Town than Warrington will regarding their 4-0 loss at Morpeth Town.

Albion will consider it an opportunity missed though as Whitby played for 40 minutes with only 10 men, and Carl Macauley's side dominated from there but could only pull back one goal in the 90th minute through Liam Goulding.

Northwich Guardian:

Liam Goulding's late goal for Witton. Picture: Karl Brooks Photography

Missing Billy Smart at the start of his suspension and with new striker Danny Mitchley - brought in on loan from Radcliffe - on the bench, Witton didn't appear their usual selves as they sloppily conceded three goals in the first half.

Jake Hackett broke the deadlock in the 23rd minute before Will Jones got on the end of an Isaac Baldwin cross to level matters in the 34th minute.

Northwich Guardian:

Will Jones celebrates his 1-1 leveller. Picture: Karl Brooks Photography

But Witton were then caught cold from the restart as Paul Blackett marked his Whitby debut with an immediate response.

Then came a controversial moment.

Danny McKenna netted after the ball fell into his path from a challenge that left teammate Tom Owens on the deck.

But referee Jonathan Maskrey pointed to the spot instead of allowing the advantage.

The sting in the tail was McKenna's penalty being well saved by Shane Bland.

Northwich Guardian:

Danny McKenna's penalty shot that was saved. Picture: Karl Brooks Photography

And the salt was rubbed in less than 60 seconds later when Corey Roper tucked home the visitors' third goal.

In the grand scheme of things, it turned out to be a pivotal couple of minutes.

Not enough goal-scoring chances were created in the second half even after Luke Bythway was sent off as 10-man Whitby held on to become only the third side to leave Wincham Park with three points this season.

Northwich Guardian:

The moment the red card was shown. Picture: Karl Brooks Photography

As a result, Witton slipped from seventh to ninth having been leapt by Hyde United and FC United of Manchester.

Macauley's men will now look to get something from their clash with Warrington on Thursday, kick-off 3pm at Cantilever Park.

Yellows will go into the clash on the back of a nightmare before Christmas.

Not only did they lose 4-0 on a pitch many considered to be unplayable and heavy under foot, they had Bohan Dixon and Mitch Duggan sent off in their side's heaviest loss for some time at Morpeth.

They will be available on Boxing Day though in their last outing before the suspensions kick in.