A DISPLAY, especially in the second half, which showed a never-say-die spirit from Vics and it was rewarded with a fine and deserved victory.

Vics started the match brightly, having the most of the play but without creating any worth while chances.

Ryan Winder had a speculative shot in the 13th minute which flew wide and minute later, it was Skelmersdale who should have taken the lead as Richard Brodie somehow managed to sky his effort over the top from just three yards out.

However, they did take the lead when good work by Emini Adegbenro and Brodie down the right led to the ball being crossed low from from the byline, and it was deflected into the net by the unfortunate Keiron Kenny.

Vics nearly responded right away as first Winder's shot from 16 yards was well saved by Barnes, and then the rebound effort by Jack Dorney was blocked away for a corner.

In the 23rd minute, a cross from the left for Skelmersdale was flicked wide by Brodie when he was free in the box when he really should have done better.

Vics then had a free kick awarded to them for a handball just outside the penalty area, but debutant Aaron Burns' effort was powerful but straight at the wall.

Skelmersdale scored their second after 36 minutes, when winger Adegbenro beat Wilson and managed to slot home from a tight angle.

Vics' hopes of getting something out of this match were raised almost immediately in the second half as the persistent Kevin Pollard won the ball just outside the area and laid the ball to Saul Henderson, whose well struck shot found the back of the net.

This was just the spur that Vics required. Two minutes later, Henderson laid the ball off to Pollard who was on the edge of the area, but his shot was straight at Barnes in the Skelmersdale net

Next it was Matty Clarke's turn to have a shot but his effort was curled over the bar.

However, it wasn't long before Vics were level when after 62 minutes, a ball into the Skelmersdale box caused havoc and Henderson was on hand to bundle the ball home.

Vics were rampant now, and there was only going to be one winner of the match.

Indeed, they should have taken the lead in the 66th minute when Dorney jinked past one defender in the box but fired his shot straight at the keeper when through one-on-one.

They came even closer moments later when a Brandon Barski header from a cross thudded against the bar.

Vics finally took the lead after 77 minutes when that man Henderson beat the offside trap, rounded the goalkeeper and fired the ball home.

It was now newcomer Burns' turn to try and get on the scoresheet as he beat two men in the box, but his shot was well saved

Moments later, Greenop's persistence in chasing a lost cause as he closed down a defender nearly paid off as the ball defected into Burns' path but again the keeper equal to his shot as he turned it away for a corner.

However, Burns did get his reward finally when in the last minute, he was bundled over in the area and he stepped up to fire the resultant penalty into the back of the net to confirm Vics' win.

Vics: Taberner, Henry, Kenny, Wilson, Barski, Winder, Clarke ( Greenop 73), Pollard, Dorney ( Blackledge 87), Henderson, Burns. Subs not used: Reed, Doran