Pete Tonge takes a look back at what happened last time Northwich Victoria took to the field

COMPETITION: Macron Cup 2nd Round

DATE: Saturday 9th November 2019.

VENUE - Wincham Park, Northwich

LINE-UP Vics’ - Taberner, Henry, Kenny, Barski, P Doran , Camozzi, Clarke (Whyte 69'), Dorney, Winder, R Doran ( J Reed 46'), Henderson Un-used subs’ - Vinten, Wilson, Blackledge Bookings for Vics : Kenny, Camozzi GOALS - Runcorn Town : Weaver 38', Cairns 75'

Vics were knocked out of a second Cup competition within a week.

They started off with Jack Dorney starting for the first time in midfield since his recent signing, and he had the first chance of the match in the 9th minute when he interlinked well with Rob Doran in the box, but he delayed his shot, and the Town defence easily cleared.

3 minutes later, Rob Doran did well down the left and laid a great ball back to Saul Henderson but his shot was straight at the keeper.

It was then Doran's turn to test the keeper, as he collected a flick from Henderson in the box, but again it was easy for Adam Reid in the Town goal.

Runcorn Town were now coming into the game more, and only a flying save from Scott Reed denied them a goal from a Wainwright shot.

In the 34th minute, Vics broke quickly from some Town pressure, and Rob Doran perfect ball found Ryan Winder one on one with the Town keeper, who made a great save.

Town took the lead in the 38th minute when a corner was only half cleared straight to the feet of Weaver who had the time and space to fire the ball home.

HALF-TIME : Northwich Vics 0 Runcorn Town 1

The second half started quietly, with Henderson's speculative shot being turned away for a corner being the only action of note in the first 15 minutes.

Runcorn should then have extended their lead as poor defending by Vics let in Weaver but his finish was as poor as the defending.

In the 64th minute, Vics built up the play well, and Matty Clarke then beat a couple of defenders, before playing a 1 - 2 with Jamie Reed, but his drilled shot was off target.

Vics should have equalised a moment later though, when a Phil Doran cross found Saul Henderson at the far post 3 yards out, but his header was brilliantly blocked by Reid in the Town net.

After 71 minutes, another chance for Vics, as substitute Harvey Whyte did well in the box, but delayed his shot when he had the time and space , and the Town defence got back to smother his effort.

Almost immediately, Town played the ball upfield quickly, finding Craig Cairns who was on the ball in a flash, and his deft lob found the corner of the net . Great finish !

Vics kept trying to probe, but apart from a flicked header from Brandon Barski which went close to the far post from a corner, they failed to create many openings in a solid looking Town defence in the final 15 minutes.

Full Time : Northwich Vics 0 Wythenshawe Town 2

A far better performance by Vics than in their midweek FA Vase defeat, but one ultimately lacking in the cutting edge.