STUBBORN and resolute defence helped Vics hold on to claim three points at Rylands.

Steve Wilkes' side had to come from behind in Warrington, with Jamie Reed's penalty securing victory after Tom Kilifin had cancelled out an opener from Rylands' Ste Wolhulter.

Vics started with the same team that had drawn at home to Hanley Town on Saturday, apart from Matty Clarke replacing Kieran Nolan in midfield.

They nearly got off to a dream start when in the first minute – Kilifin picked up a loose pass from Rylands about 15 yards outside the area and tried an audacious lob , but the back-pedalling Graeme McCall in the Rylands net just managed to fingertip it over the bar.

Minutes later, Harvey Whyte stole the ball in midfield and fired in an effort from distance, which was easily saved.

At the other end, Freddie Potter had a similar effort for Rylands but Scott Reed was equal to it.

Rylands should have taken the lead in the 18th minute when Harry Molyneux played a great ball for George Lomax to whip in a cross which Potter could only head over the bar when unmarked from 12 yards.

Potter had another good chance just two minutes later, when he did well to control another Molyneux cross but could only shoot wide with only Reed to beat in the Vics' net.

It was Vics' turn next when Kieron Kenny headed a Ryan Winder corner goalbound, but it was cleared off the line by a Rylands defender.

Rylands took the lead in the 31st minute when a quickly-taken free kick caught Vics napping,and Wolhunter steered a shot into the top corner of the net from the left side of the area.

Four minutes later, it was nearly two when Potter struck a beauty from all of 30 yards which rattled the bar with Reed beaten.

Vics were back level shortly afterwards when Jamie Reed won the ball in midfield, held off his man and laid the ball through to Kilifin who comfortably slipped the ball past McCall to level.

Rylands nearly regained the lead on the stroke of half time when Tom McNamara headed just wide from Wolhunter's cross.

After a quiet start to the second half, Ben Greenop latched onto a long ball down the left and stormed into the area where he was bundled over by a Rylands defender.

A penalty was given and Jamie Reed stepped up to confidently smash the ball into the top of the net.

This spurred Rylands on and they started to push Vics back more and more.

In the 60th minute, a Rylands corner led to some desperate blocks from the Vics' defenders as Rylands had a series of shots before the ball was finally cleared.

Five minutes later, Reed did well to push a McNamara shot away for a corner, from which Denter headed the ball back across for Potter to head over when he should have done better.

Rylands were pushing hard for the equaliser, earning a lot of corners which always looked dangerous but they failed to really test Reed too much.

Their best chance came in the 85th minute when Kane Drummond nearly caught Reed off his line and the subsequent header was put over the bar from close range.

Rylands were bombarding the box, but Vics were resolute and committed to the cause and held out with only minor alarm.