WINNINGTON Park head coach Matt Farr will be pleased with the 49-25 success against previously undefeated Eccles at the weekend.

And he will be happy with starting the campaign with three wins

But he will be disappointed with the loss, due to a broken arm, of Jack Williams, who will be missed in the weeks ahead starting with Saturday’s tough trip to Glossop - another of the three teams in the league with a 100 per cent record.

Williams, the Park fly half, ripped the Eccles defence to shreds and tormented the visitors with a diverse mix of deft passes, pin-point kicks and the occasional darting run.

He is one of those players who has the appearance of an abundance of time with the ball in hand, presenting him with options other players don’t see or can’t execute.

Williams was highly influential in the 34-15 lead being established before his services were lost.

A strong run by a big, burly, Eccles winger, who caused Park trouble throughout the game, was ultimately ended when he was brought down by a desperate Williams tackle, who incurred the broken arm for his troubles.

Incredibly, presumably not realising the seriousness of the injury, he carried on but was shortly taken off the pitch.

A sad end to a stunning performance.

Park moved the ball about at speed, with Williams calling the shots, and posted posting a try by captain Dave Cross within 10 minutes. Cam Flanagan converted to add to his earlier penalty.

Eccles pulled back three points with a penalty before Matt Treacey scored a try after chasing a beautiful kick by Williams.

Luke Cannings then powered down the wing to score after a pick-out pass from Williams, and Flanagan converted.

Eccles were not going away though and two tries - one converted - cut the deficit to 22-15.

The visitors were not helping themselves in the penalty count and a second yellow card of the half for not rolling away eventually led to Williams twice kicking ahead and touching down.

Within six minutes of the second half normal service resumed.

Shortly after an exciting break by Cannings down the wing the ball went across the pitch for Jimmy Moran to cross on the opposite flank.

After Williams’ exit the score remained unchanged for 20 minutes.

A Flanagan penalty then stretched the lead to 37-15 and the Park forwards drove over in the corner with Ben Cann scoring a try.

Eccles crossed for two unconverted tries but in the final two minutes Dave Cross ran the angle off a fine pass from Shaun Underdown to conclude the scoring.

Park: Mike Eaves, Andrew Evans, Shaun Underdown, Dave Cross (Captain) Matt Treacy, Benn Cann, Gary Dykes, Alex Glendinning, Dan Berg, Jack Williams, Sam Brookes, Ryan Williams, Luke Cannings, Jimmy Moran, Cameron Flanagan, Alex Burrage. Replacements: Nick Brown, Jake Cornwell and Alex Burrage