AFTER an early setback, Northwich Victoria swept aside Burscough 6-1 at Wincham Park on Saturday with the help of two goals from inspirational Jamie Reed and another from a debutant.

An eventful opening 14 minutes, in which both sides hit the woodwork, was capped by Vics keeper Danny Taberner palming a corner into his own net in the North West Counties Premier Division encounter.

But with two goals in five minutes at the end of the first half, courtesy of Reed and Tom Kilifin, Vics turned around with a psychological advantage.

Further strikes from Harvey Whyte (58mins), Reed (74, pen), Ben Greenop (82) and new signing Henderson (91) saw the Trickies home comfortably.

Vics were on the front from the off and when Reed won possession in midfield he played a lovely ball into Kilifin but his shot was blocked and cleared.

From Burscough's first attack, in the 12th minute, they should have taken the lead.

Vics' defence was split wide open by a great ball through to Peter Henerty.

He was clear on goal but his shot hit the inside of the post and was cleared.

A minute later Kilifin latched onto a peach of a ball from Ryan Winder but his volley hit a post.

After Burscough took the lead through Taberner's mishap they had another chance but the home keeper was equal to a shot that was heading to the top corner.

Vics were still playing the ball around nicely, and should have had a penalty in the 18th minute as Kilifin was pushed over in the box as he tried to get on the end of a cross, but the referee was unmoved.

Reed was at the heart of most good things for Vics and in the 24th minute he drove into the box and fired a shot just wide of the post.

Vics were pushing hard for an equaliser now, but the final ball wasn't quite there to finish off good approach play.

However in the 40th minute, a superb ball by Ryan Winder found Reed free on the left side of the penalty area.

He controlled the ball well and slipped it past Garner into the Burscough net.

This inspired Vics and on the stroke of half time a great pass from Ben Greenop found Kilifin centrally, just outside the box.

He drove forward and fired a shot into the left corner.

Vics should have extended their lead two minutes into the second half as Reed found himself one on one with the keeper, took the ball round him and flicked it towards goal from a tight angle but the keeper recovered well to save at his near post.

After a long ball Reed again was one on one but his early shot was high over the bar.

It was no surprise then when Vics did get their third.

Greenop fired in a shot which was well saved but Whyte was there to slam the rebound into the back of the net.

Reed escaped down the right and fired a cross into Greenop but his effort was wide of the post from a few yards out.

Some great interplay between substitute Henderson, on his debut, and Winder forced the Burscough keeper into two great saves but the referee had seen something which no-one else had and awarded a penalty.

Reed blasted the ball into the net to put Vics 4-1 up.

Greenop met a wonderful cross five yards out but his flick was well saved by Garner.

A minute later, Greenop got his first goal for the club as he raced through on to a long ball and chipped the advancing keeper.

Vics weren't content with five and made it six in the first minute of injury time as a corner was headed back across goal by Martin Grundy and Henderson, a striker signed from Congleton Town, was there to complete a convincing win.

Vics: Taberner, Henry, Wilson , Barski, Vinten, Whyte (Clarke 60), Camozzi, Winder, Kilifin (Henderson 65), Reed (Grundy 75), Greenop. Unused subs: Doran, Kenny.

Next matches, North West Counties Premier Division:

Wednesday: Home versus Irlam Town, 7.45pm

Saturday: Away versus Longridge Town, 3pm