AN impressive performance by Northwich Victoria saw them sweep aside Litherland 8-0 in the heat of bank holiday Monday.

It was Litherland who could have taken an early lead, as a corner in the 2nd minute was quickly laid back to the onrushing Brabin but his well struck shot went wide of the right post.

From then on, it was virtually all Vics, and the next minute man-of-the-match John Connolly picked up the ball in midfield and surged forward before laying the ball to his left for Tom Kilifin to strike a shot which flew into the side netting.

It was that man Connolly again in the 7th minute, a corner was played into him on the edge of the area, his shot appeared to strike the arm of a Litherland player, but the referee waved play on, which Connolly did, and again surged into the area, and his shot went wide of the right post with Brandon Barski just unable to slide in and turn the ball in.

2 minutes later, it was Martin Grundy's turn to win the ball in his own half and surge forward, he played the ball into Kilifin who was charging through to his left, and his shot from 25 yards forced the keeper to only parry the ball in the path of Grundy who had carried on his run, but his header was brilliantly turned away by Ben Morrow in the Litherland net for a corner.

Vics had another attack just a minute later, when Camozzi got free down the right, and his low cross found Jamie Reed who cushioned the ball into the path of Connolly, but he was again denied by a good save by the keeper down at his near post. However, Vics weren't to be denied again, and after a well worked corner, Ryan Winder floated the ball into the box, where Rob Doran got up highest to head the ball home.

Just 5 minutes later, Doran got his second as he beat the offside trap, and ran onto a delicious pass by Ryan Winder and easily slid the ball into the net.

The match was virtually settled in the 23rd minute, when a Vics free-kick was only partially cleared, and captain Joe Camozzi picked the ball up, strode into space in the box and struck a shot into the far corner giving Morrow no chance in the Litherland net.

Vics kept pressing, and both Connolly and Kilifin had shots that went close, then in the final minute of the half, some excellent one touch play involving Grundy, Reed, and Connolly in the centre of the park led to Rob Doran being found on the right edge of the area, but his powerful shot whizzed just wide of the right post.

As in the first half, Litherland had the first chance in the second as a poor touch by Keiron Kenny let in Paul Foy but his lob over Thompson in the Vics' net fell onto the bar rather than into the net.

A lucky escape for the Vics, but this only seemed to spur them on again.

In the 55th minute, a good move down the left led to Tom Kilifin reaching the by-line and laying the ball across goal which Jamie Reed reached with an outstretched leg one yard out, but the ball somehow bounced into the arms of the keeper.

Just 2 minutes later, some excellent link play between Reed and Connolly in the box found the latter with only Morrow to beat, but the keeper again saved brilliantly to block the ball for a corner.

65 minutes in, and Vics got their fourth, as a wonderful Winder cross was flicked on by Kilifin and John Connolly somehow managed to turn his header into the net from the tightest of angles. A well deserved goal for the midfielder.

Two minutes later it was 5, as substitute Ben Greenop scampered down the right and delivered a great cross for Tom Kilifin to volley the ball right footed from only 3 yards out, which was brilliantly saved onto the bar by Morrow, only for Kilifin to recover quickest and smash the ball left footed into the net.

Now it was just a matter of how many Vics would score, and it should have been 6 in the 72nd minute as another cross from Ryan Winder found Jamie Reed unmarked in the box but he couldn't direct his header and it glanced past the post.

It was 6 however in the 74th minute as Vics played out from the back, and Ryan Winder played a delightful through ball leaving debutant substitute Sam Pilkington one on one with Morrow, and Pilkington made no mistake.

Pilkington got his 2nd in the 82nd minute, as a low cross from Brandon Barski was cleared to him on the edge of the area, and he struck a fine shot into the net through a crowd of players.

Vics weren't finished yet, and 3 minutes later, Vics again won the ball in midfield, and Winder played in the supporting Jamie Reed and this time Morrow couldn't deny him, and he slipped the ball into the net much to his, and the fans' delight for his first goal for the club.

Vics: Thompson, Camozzi, Wilson (FitzGerald 76'), Kenny, Barski, Winder, Grundy, Connolly (Pilkington 66'), Reed, Doran (Greenop 58'), Kilifin. Unused subs: Henry, Toner.

Vics' next outing is away versus Lancaster City in the FA Cup first qualifying round on Saturday, September 7.