NORTHWICH Victoria dramatically earned a place in the next round of the Emirates FA Cup when John Connolly scored a late winner after Silsden had fought back from being three goals down after 35 minutes.

The game looked as though it was going to go to extra time when, in the 86th minute, a ball into the area created panic in the Silsden defence before it fell to Connolly, who fired the ball home to steer Vics to a home tie in the preliminary round against Prescot Cables on August 24.

The opening 20 minutes of the match showed no sign of the drama that was to follow, as both teams were content to size each other up following the initial contest that ended 2-2 three days earlier.

Chances were limited early doors, with Ryan Winder coming closest for Vics after nine minutes with a free kick going just wide from 20 yards out.

However the game burst into life with Rob Doran scoring twice in two minutes, starting in the 26th minute when he ran onto a long ball over the top, and slotted the ball past Darke in the Silsden net.

Barely had the celebrations stopped when Kilifin escaped down the left and crossed the ball brilliantly for Doran to score his and Vics' second at the far post.

Doran could have completed his hat-trick a few minutes later, but he delayed his shot as he was one on one with the keeper, and allowed the keeper to save well.

However, Vics got their third in the 35th minute, and a long clearance was flicked onto Kilifin and he cleverly lobbed the keeper as he came rushing out.

Forty minutes in, and Silsden were back in the match.

Vics turned off as Silsden took a quick free kick, the ball was worked out to Hudson who finished well from 15 yards out.

Northwich started the second half well, and were in control of the game but after 56 minutes Silsden were awarded a penalty as Kenny tripped an attacker as he tried to weave his way into a shooting position and, as per Saturday, Kirby scored though Danny Taberner did get a hand to it as it went to his right but he could only push it further into the corner of the net.

Silsden were now buoyant and were pushing Vics back and not allowing them any time on the ball.

After 64 minutes, Shazad picked the ball up in midfield and strode forward, Vics backed off and Shazad fizzed a shot from 25 yards into the top corner giving Taberner no chance.

Things were getting feisty now, and it was no surprise when another niggly foul by Silsden sparked a bout of pushing and shoving with most of the players getting involved, but ended up with only Clarke for Vics and Shazad for Silsden getting booked.

Vics had weathered the storm though and were creating their own pressure in the final ten minutes, with a couple of corners, one of which Keiron Kenny headed agonisingly wide.

It paved the way for the final act of drama, which puts Vics in buoyant mood for Saturday's home league clash with Skelmersdale United at Wincham Park, kick-off 3pm.

Vics: Taberner, Camozzi, Wilson, Kenny, Barski, Connolly (Fleming 89), Clarke , Toner (Henry), Winder , Kilifin, Doran.

Unused subs: Fitzgerald, Crowther, Hinchcliffe.