Witton Albion 2-0 Whitby Town

CARL Macauley reached a milestone of 100 wins as Witton Albion’s manager when they dispatched Whitby for the third time this season.

They did not look back from the moment James Foley converted from the spot on 10 minutes after his progress into the visitors’ penalty area had been cut short by Kieran Weledji’s foul.

However the home team had been pushed back before that.

Bradley Fewster’s shot was deflected wide before Greg Rutherford’s header from the resulting set-piece prompted goalkeeper Greg Hall to turn the ball around an upright.

Albion pushed forward to try and add to their advantage, and Danny McKenna fired over the crossbar before Lewis Doyle’s attempt from distance flew wide of goal.

Whitby rallied during the first-half’s closing stages with midfielder Dale Hopson at the heart of their best moves.

He fired narrowly over with a drive from long-range before then striking the woodwork with the last kick of the opening period.

Witton returned to the ascendancy shortly after the turnaround and the Seasiders’ custodian Jack Norton was called into action to stop efforts from Foley and then Tom Owens.

A second goal for Albion arrived on 68 minutes when an incisive pass sent Rob Hopley through on goal and Witton’s captain coolly placed the ball where Norton could not reach it.

Hall made a smart save to keep out a volley from Dave McTiernan, while at the other end McKenna’s powerful shot was off-target and Hopley’s drive flashed high.

They did not need the comfort of another goal, and are assured now of finishing at least ninth in the Northern Premier League’s Premier Division table.

Witton | Hall (GK), Cesaire, Devine, Wardle, Offord, Smart, McKenna, Owens, Hopley, Doyle, Foley (Abadaki 83) Subs not used Jones, Humphreys, Neild (GK) Goals Foley 10 (penalty), Hopley 68 Booked Cesaire

Whitby | Norton (GK), McWilliams, Sukar, Scott (Smith 46), Weledji, White, Rowe, Patton (Coffey 46), Fewster (McTiernan 46), Rutherford, Hopson Subs not used Gell, Dixon Booked Weledji, Rowe

Referee Mark Reeves

Attendance 263

Match report by Paul Harper