IF Northwich Victoria were feeling bruised an agonising FA Vase exit at the semi-finals stage then they hid it well.

Paul Ennis scored a decisive goal from the last kick of the match, striking powerfully past Barlick goalkeeper Danny Livesey from distance, to secure maximum points for Steve Wilkes’ side.

“To respond like that after Saturday shows unbelievable strength of character,” reflected the Vics boss.

The visitors started positively, and Jordan Darr headed over the cross bar inside five minutes before John Connolly’s effort hist the side-netting.

They did not have to wait long to take the lead and Connolly met a ross with a header that left Livesey with no chance of making a save.

To their credit, Barlick rallied and Vics custodian Danny Taberner produced his best to tip over Ethan Kershaw’s attempt.

The hosts drew level on 23 minutes when Andrew Hill’s cross-cum-shot found the net following a short corner.

It was a catalyst for his teammates and Taberner was again defiant when Morgan met Kershaw’s centre with his head.

Northwich moved in front a second time though when Billy Whittle and he curled a neat finish out of Livesey’s reach.

Taberner was swift from his line to thwart Zack Dale but the diminutive attacker’s next shot was too powerful for the number one to keep out after Morgan provided an assist.

Both teams remained committed to attack after the interval and Livesey was equal to Jack Fleming’s attempt direct from a free-kick.

However he was beaten again on 59 minutes when Vics took the lead for a third time through Brandon Barski’s shot on the turn.

A topsy turvy encounter took another twist when Dale dispatched a shot past Taberner on 66 minutes after a weak initial attempt.

Barlick will have felt confident after Matt Grimshaw was then shown a red card following a tangle with Morgan only for Hill to follow him shortly afterwards after receiving a second caution for handball.

Kershaw then slammed a shot against the crossbar before Barlick captain James Crorken was then shown a second yellow card for tripping Dom Craig when he tried to counter.

There was one final moment of drama when Vics substitute Matty Clarke switched play to Harvey Whyte who in turn laid off to Ennis.

The wide man’s thunderous shot, after hitting the net, was followed by the referee’s final whistle.

Wilkes added: “It was an incredible strike for the winner.

“Paul has only trained with us for a short while and because we’ve been playing in the FA Vase he’s had to wait to make his first appearance.

“Not only did he score a wonder goal, but his all-roud game and the way he linked with his teammates was impressive.”

Barlick | Livesey (GK), Yari, McEneaney, Crorken, Hill, Airey, Dale, Thompson (Wilson 61), Morgan (Young 78), Kershaw, Amos (Grundy 90) Subs not used Vincent, Wright Goals Hill 23, Dale 45, 66 Booked Livesey (dissent), Hill, Crorken Sent off Hill (deliberate handball, second caution), Crorken (foul, second caution) 

Vics | Taberner (GK), Camozzi, Fleming (Clarke 88), Craig, Grimshaw, Barski, Whyte, Whittle, Darr (Brownhill 80), Connolly (Fitzgerald 72), Ennis Subs not used Mason, Scott (GK) Goals Connolly 19, Whittle 29, Barski 59, Ennis 90 (+5) Booked Fleming Sent off Grimshaw (foul) 

Attendance 134