Who will be happier?

It felt like an outcome both managers can take satisfaction from when they reflect.

Northwich Victoria improved after the interval and spent more time inside their opponents’ half, and the reward of Harvey Whyte’s equaliser was a just one.

Chertsey settled better and dominated possession in the opening period although they didn’t make Vics goalkeeper Danny Taberner intervene as often as they’d have liked.

The Curfews may be considered by bookmakers as favourites to progress, and they are unbeaten in Combined Counties League fixtures on home turf this season, but they’ll be wary of the performances put in by Steve Wilkes’ side at both Newcastle Benfield and Histon on their route to the last four.

How much of a factor was the wind?

Steve Wilkes told the Guardian afterwards that strong gusts throughout had made the tie less of a spectacle for those watching.

It certainly presented a challenge to the players and Chertsey over-hit passes regularly in the first 45 minutes.

However with the wind at their backs they were able to push back Vics, a favour the home team returned after the teams had turned around.

When the hosts did play with the ball on the floor in the second-half, they posed more of a threat and will take encouragement that they were able to get Darrhyl Mason into dangerous positions.

Luckily, the conditions didn’t contribute directly to a mistake that cost either side a goal.

Vics: composed again after falling behind

While Steve Wilkes would no doubt prefer it didn’t happen, he was heartened to see his side haul themselves level for a third successive FA Vase tie after conceding first.

They reached 90 minutes tied at 1-1 thanks to Whyte’s leveler and didn’t panic despite not being able to apply sustained pressure to their guests’ defence in the first-half.

“We showed character again,” said the Vics boss afterwards.

Even if they were second-best, and it wasn’t by much, before half-time their defence – boosted by the return of Brandon Barski after a suspension ruled him out in the quarter-finals – remained sturdy.

In praise of Harvey Whyte

The 20-year-old’s finish to restore parity, after running on to Ryan Winder’s beautifully-weighted pass, was unerring.

He struck the ball early, and Chertsey goalkeeper Nick Jupp had no chance of stopping a rising effort.

The context of that finish makes it even more impressive; Whyte had dithered after Michael Peacock had stumbled on the hour and with a clear sight of the target he was tackled by a recovering Mason Welch-Turner before he could shoot.

It took courage, and a cool head, not to have been affected by that earlier moment passing him by when the next opportunity presented itself.

Chertsey’s defence can be breached

The Curfews hadn’t conceded a goal in the FA Vase since they humbled Flackwell Heath 6-1 in a first-round encounter back on October 13.

Their opponents that afternoon took the lead inside 120 seconds through Cameron Gray.

A total of 610 minutes – more than 10 hours – of playing time in the competition passed before Harvey Whyte found the net for Northwich.

Chertsey had shut out five rivals before Vics blemished their record again on Sunday.

Of course Steve Wilkes’ men fared better than Flackwell, from the Hellenic League’s Premier Division, did back in the Autumn.