IT wasn’t a classic but both teams are content a windy afternoon hasn’t blown their chance to play at Wembley.

All that matters at this stage is the tie remains alive.

Indeed there is so little to choose between the sides that it would be folly to say one or the other is now favourite.

They took it in turns to reap the benefit of having a gust behind them.

Chertsey did first, and they spent more time in opposition territory in the opening period.

The Curfews settled better, and Lubo Guentchev’s shot from the edge of the penalty area rolled wide on 10 minutes.

Vics responded when Rob Doran’s pass invited Joel Brownhill to attack space behind full-back Sam Flegg but he could not make a clean contact with his shot from an angle.

Chertsey were effective in taking possession by winning the majority of second-balls but toiled to conjure chances.

They almost struck lucky when Darrhyl Mason sliced an attempted clearance from Guentchev’s corner but the ball skewed into goalkeeper Danny Taberner’s grasp.

Brownhill’s attempt on the half-volley was off-target but there was little else to encourage a four-figure crowd to make more noise.

A breakthrough arrived on 40 minutes when Dale Binns dribbled past Jack Fleming before sending a low cross towards Jake Baxter.

The striker’s flicked effort looped onto the far post before Guentchev rolled the ball into Dave Taylor’s path and he steered it over the line.

A second might have followed when Guentchev expertly controlled a throw before teeing up Binns but he blazed high.

To their credit, Vics didn’t panic.

They were more aggressive after the interval, and used the conditions to pin back their guests.

Efforts from Harvey Whyte and then Brownhill from outside the penalty area were a signal of their growing intent while at the other end Guentchev’s free-kick deflected off a defensive wall and was fielded easily by Taberner.

Vics had their clearest sight of goal when Chertsey defender Michael Peacock stumbled and Whyte carried the ball towards goal.

However he waited too long to shoot and full-back Mason Welch-Turner timed a sliding tackle perfectly to avert the danger.

Binns was inaccurate again after Taylor had turned provider and Baxter’s low effort didn’t trouble the home team’s number one.

The Curfews’ attacks were rarer though, and they were pegged back on 72 minutes.

Ryan Winder caressed a pass into a space that Whyte darted into before firing a rising shot past custodian Nick Jupp.

It was the game’s highlight.

Brandon Barski threw himself at a corner but could not control a header when he connected and Brad Cooke guided Winder’s free-kick wide of an upright with time running out.

There was encouragement for Steve Wilkes, who conceded afterwards Vics had been below their best, that his men finished the contest better than they started it.

Advantage Chertsey? Wins in the FA Vase at Newcastle Benfield and Histon in previous rounds are proof that Northwich can prevail on their travels.

Vics | 4-3-3 | Taberner (GK), Camozzi, Kenny, Barski, Fleming, Winder, Cooke, Whyte, Joel Brownhill (Darr 81), Doran (Matthews 76), Mason Subs not used Craig, Fitzgerald, Scott (GK) Goal Whyte 72

Chertsey | 4-2-3-1 | Jupp (GK), Flegg, Peacock, Rowe, Welch-Turner, MacLaren, Taylor (Jackson 82), Guentchev, Murphy, Binns (Driver 77),

Baxter Subs not used Pomroy, Bennell, Gallifent (GK) Goal Taylor 40

Referee James Oldham

Attendance 1,288


Shots on target: Vics 2, Chertsey 4

Shots off target: Vics 5, Chertsey 4

Corners: Vics 5, Chertsey 7

Offside: Vics 1, Chertsey 2

Fouls: Vics 4, Chertsey 4

Bookings: Vics 0, Chertsey 0

Red cards: Vics 0, Chertsey 0