NOTHING went right for Northwich.

A sequence of seven wins came to an end as Warrington completed a double, prevailing by an even wider margin than one they managed at Moss Farm back in September.

Wire do not hide how much they enjoy beating Blacks, and they simply adjusted better to the most wretched winter conditions to take control.

The visitors can’t complain about the outcome of a game the hosts dominated but their dismay at the performance of referee Gavin Jones was not misdirected.

The match official repeatedly penalised them, and so often did his whistle interrupt proceedings in the first-half that he added on 12 minutes to make up for lost time.

Crucially, Warrington’s third try arrived in the last of those to establish a 17-7 interval advantage.

Had Northwich held out, it would have felt like an escape after spending almost all of the opening period on the back foot.

There had been little sign of what was to follow when Mike Gough touched down in the ninth minute following a catch and drive that easily overpowered the home team’s defence.

Nick Baldwin’s conversion attempt was successful, but his side didn’t trouble the scoreboard operator again.

They were deprived of possession by Warrington who, wary of a fierce headwind and horizontal rain, kept the ball close and wore them down.

It was effective, and Wire restored parity on 20 minutes with a Josh Downes try that Darren Norman converted.

Jones then banished Northwich back-row forward Chris James to the sin-bin for dissent, and he was followed there by debutant Ben Jones after he had infringed.

Warrington, unbeaten at home this season, made the most of their numerical advantage from the resulting scrum, creating an overlap on the right for Max Caldwell to cross in the corner.

A third try, again from Downes, arrived from the final play of a fractious half.

Norman landed a penalty shortly after the interval before a moment of farce sealed Blacks’ fate 10 minutes later.

Baldwin tried to restart with a 22-metre drop-out only for the wind to blow the ball back over his head and towards the visitors’ line.

Joel Barber appeared favourite to gather, but fumbled and an alert Josh Riley grounded it instead.

Norman added the extras, making it 27-7, before Tom Wood’s drop goal cut Northwich adrift.

There was no chance of a recovery, their resistance drained by a battle against their opponents, the elements and Jones.

His decision not to punish Caldwell for a high tackle on replacement Tom Husband, who was shunted into the pitch-side barrier while still holding the ball, was inexplicable.

It sparked a huge scuffle between both sets of players, and fortunately the teenager emerged unhurt.

Perhaps emboldened by the match official’s leniency, Wire briefly lost their cool.

Jack Hannon was shown a red card for throwing a punch at Matt Ensor and flanker Sean Callender was sent to the sin-bin straight afterwards.

If that was Jones attempting to even up the contest, it was too little too late.

Northwich | Maddocks, Gough, Bradshaw, Heywood, Jones, Ensor, Clark, James, Poste, Baldwin, Houghton, Underhill, Richard Dale, Skinkis, Barber Replacements Laddle, Wood, Husband Try Gough Con Baldwin