By Paul Hurley THIS week I will feature a pub that has been closed for some time but is now up and running.

In the 1700s, this public house began its life as a one up, one down sandstone cottage, belonging to the Earl of Shrewsbury.

In 1797 it was first opened as an ale house with James Barlow as its first licensee who remained in that capacity until 1826.

The following year, since accommodation was offered, it was recorded as The Board but by 1865 it was known as The Egerton Arms with James Barlow, presumably his son, as the tenant.

He was in post until 1914 when James Harding took over the tenancy and it remained in his family until 1957.

In December 1917, it was sold to Sir Philip Grey-Egerton of Oulton Hall as a free and fully licensed Inn.

James Gordon the tenant from 1957 purchased The Egerton Arms from Sir Philip John Caledon Grey-Egerton in 1965. Since then it has remained a family business, ownership being transferred by Mr Gordon to his daughter Joan Anne and son-in-law Kenneth Dobson in 1970.

This couple remained at the helm until the death of Mr Dobson in 1997, when Mrs Dobson took over continued as landlady until 2008 when its doors closed to the public.

However, Mrs Dobson continued to live in the premises until May 2013 when she leased the property to Mike and Helen Walter along with their daughters Francesca, Emily and Alice and their son in law James, who reopened the pub in August 2013.

They now continue the tradition of ‘The Egerton Arms’ as a free house with several real ales and lagers, wholesome food is also available and a pleasantly ancient ambience.

The address is Pinfold Lane, Little Budworth as there is an ancient listed Pinfold down the road.

This is a stone enclosure used to secure straying beasts and was a feature of most medieval villages, this one bears a brown plaque.

Thanks to Francesca for her help in researching the history of this traditional and welcoming old country pub.