A MAN who threw water on his partner to wake her before beating her ‘black and blue’ with an extendable baton has been spared jail.

Anthony Frost left his victim petrified as she lay on the floor pleading for him to stop.

The defendant, of Church Road, Northwich, appeared before Warrington Magistrates Court on Thursday (May 9) pleading guilty to assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

Prosecuting, Michael O'Kane said the ‘prolonged assault’ took place on August 5, 2022.

He told the courts how the 54-year-old went to wake his partner up in the bedroom of their home by throwing water on her, before turning the mattress over and throwing her onto the floor.

Frost then sparked a lighter inches away from his victim’s face, with her described as being ‘petrified’.

While on the floor, the defendant leant over her, before she got back into bed and under the covers.

Mr O’Kane explained that the victim was taking medication for anxiety at the time of the incident which had side effects making her more tired.

After falling back to sleep, the defendant decided to wake her up again, asking her to unlock her phone as he wanted to transfer some money.

The victim tried to unlock the phone using her digital fingerprint, but this would not work, and she could not remember her password.

In reaction to this, Frost began hitting her multiple times with an extendable baton, beating her until she was ‘black and blue’.

Despite the woman screaming and begging him to stop he continued to assault her, while still demanding she unlock her phone.

While the victim did not seek medical treatment, she later contacted her mother and informed her that Frost had assaulted her.

The prosecutor detailed how the complainant did not leave the house for a long period of time as she did not want anyone to see her injuries.

Defending, Mark Evans said his client and the victim ended their relationship ten months ago.

“He admits the offence fully. He admits it because he believes truly, he has done something wrong,” he said.

“He has apologised to the victim multiple times.”

Mr Evans added that Frost does charity work as a personal trainer and was at low risk of re-offending.

District Judge McGarva addressed the defendant before sentencing saying: “This is a nasty case of domestic abuse.

“It was a prolonged incident involving the use of a weapon. Your behaviour was demeaning to the victim.

“She must have been terribly frightened during the incident. It was a prolonged and persistent assault.”

Despite the severity of the offences, Frost was handed a 24-week jail sentence suspended for 18 months.

He was ordered to carry out 15 rehabilitation requirement days, 200 hours of unpaid work, as well as attending 30 days on the Building Better Relationships programme.

£500 compensation was also awarded to the victim and a restraining order was imposed forbidding the defendant from contacting the victim for two years.