DOG owners have been warned of toxic waters at a Cheshire beauty spot.

The Friends of Anderton and Marbury, a group of residents supporting the area’s woodlands, have urged dog walkers to take extra care.

It comes amid reports of blue-green algae, which is highly dangerous to dogs, at Budworth Mere.

“Please do not enter the Mere or permit your pets to enter or drink the water,” reads a social media post from the group.

“The algae is toxic and will cause skin conditions, stomach upsets or more serious health problems.

“Signs will be posted at various locations ASAP.

“The most important thing is to make sure people and pets stay out of the Mere.

“When we are informed the Mere is safe again, we will let people know.”

Blue-green algae is a term used to describe a group of bacteria called cyanobacteria which is most commonly found in freshwater ponds, lakes and rivers.

According to The Kennel Club, it can be 'very dangerous to dogs and can even be deadly'.

“Many cases are life-threatening and dogs can die very quickly,” the club’s website reads.

It is most typically recognisable as a shimmering blue-green layer on the surface of the water but can also give the appearance of pea soup.

Symptoms of blue-green algae in dogs include vomiting, diarrhoea, breathing difficulties, fits and tiredness.

These signs often start within an hour of contact but can some times occur within a few minutes or take a few days.

Anyone who suspects their dog has been poisoned should take their pet to the vet urgently and if possible, ring ahead so the vet can prepare for your arrival.

If you come across a body of water you think may contain blue-green algae, report it to the Environment Agency’s 24-hour incident hotline on 0800 80 70 60.