THE tragic death of a pensioner on the M6 will not require further investigation.

Suzanne Taylor died after Marcin Szewczyk crashed into her while she was sitting in a traffic jam on the motorway.

Driving a white Mercedes Sprinter van, he back-ended the Kia Sportage in which Ms Taylor was in with her family – including her daughter who was seriously injured in the incident.

Ms Taylor, the back-seat passenger, died at the scene between Sandbach and Middlewich in October 2021.

A hearing took place at Cheshire Coroner’s Court on Wednesday where it was heard that no inquest is now needed into the investigation of the death of Ms Taylor.

This is due to criminal proceedings having finished which saw Szewczyk, 43, sentenced to seven-and-a-half years in prison for causing death by dangerous driving and causing serious injury by dangerous driving.

Senior coroner for Cheshire Jacqueline Devonish said the family has confirmed they do not wish for the case to be reviewed.

As a result, the inquest into the death of Suzanne Taylor has now been closed.

Northwich Guardian:

During Szewcyzk’s sentencing in April, it was heard how toxicology results revealed that he had traces of amphetamine in his system.

During the course of the investigation, officers spoke to witnesses who said the van was weaving all over the road, and dashcam footage of this proved pivotal to the case.

GPS data from his employer found the vehicle had left the warehouse 22 hours and 31 minutes prior to the collision, and had travelled more than 450 miles.

After his sentencing, investigating officer PC Faye Clarke said: “Szewczyk’s actions and decision to continue to drive throughout the 22-hour period prior to the collision has devastated Suzanne’s family.

“He did not hold a valid driving licence, and enquiries found his Polish driving licence was listed as confiscated and invalid.

“While employed as a professional driver, Szewczyk deliberately chose to ignore the law and continued to drive while knowingly fatigued and under the influence of a controlled drug which put lives at risk.

"He had ample opportunity to pull in or leave the motorway network but continued to drive.

After the sentencing, a representative from Suzanne’s family said: “We are pleased with the custodial sentence of seven and a half years, though no sentence can bring mum back.

“We as a family want to move forward with our lives, keeping mum in our thoughts at all times."