NORTHWICH Victoria were determined to pull off a win against the league leaders in memory of Dave Thomas on Saturday but it did not work out that way.

Vics were defeated 2-0 at home by Vauxhall Motors, with both goals coming in a three-minute spell late in the game at an emotional U Lock It Stadium.

Manager Steve Wilkes made a substitution at 0-0 in a bid to collect all three points in honour of Dave, the club's long-serving secretary who had died seven days earlier, but he admitted afterwards the move backfired.

Northwich Guardian: Dave Thomas' seat at the U Lock It Stadium, draped in green and white as the club honoured its former secretary during the game against Vauxhall MotorsDave Thomas' seat at the U Lock It Stadium, draped in green and white as the club honoured its former secretary during the game against Vauxhall Motors (Image: Angel Buckley)

"We changed the shape. We took a defender off and tried to win it and it backfired when they scored two goals in two minutes while we were readjusting," said Wilkes, whose players wore black arm bands throughout the match.

"Sometimes you make subs and get it right, sometimes you don't, but we'll keep trying to win football matches for the rest of the season.

"For 78 minutes there was nothing in the game. They had chances, we had chances.

"I thought it was going to be 0-0 so that's why we tried to win it. We would have liked to win it for Dave but we'll move on to the next one and try to win that one for him."

Northwich Guardian: Northwich Victoria goalkeeper Chris Cheetham at full stretch against Vauxhall MotorsNorthwich Victoria goalkeeper Chris Cheetham at full stretch against Vauxhall Motors (Image: Angela Buckley)

Lewis Buckley (81) and Bobbie McDonnell (83) scored for Vauxhalls, who have lost only once this season.

Vics, who remain sixth in the North West Counties League Premier Division with games in hand on all the sides above them, will host Kendal Town in the league on Wednesday.

A minute's tribute in respect of Dave took place prior to kick-off, while over at Townfield there was also a minute's silence for him leading into 1874's fixture against Glossop North End.

The end result was the same, a 2-0 loss for 74 – their first home Northern Premier League West defeat of the season.

The poor showing, which featured goals being conceded to Louis White (14) and Keaton Mulvey (26), could have ended up with en even worse scoreline as 1874 were twice saved by the woodwork.

Joe Woolley had the best two chances for the hosts, hitting the side netting and glancing a header narrowly wide in the first half.

1874, who dropped to fifth as a result of the loss in a division that sees only three points separating the sides from second to 12th, visit Stockport Town in the Cheshire Senior Cup tomorrow (Monday).

In the same division, Witton Albion fell to their first defeat in seven games when they lost 2-1 at Trafford.

All the goals came in a six-minute spell at the end of the encounter.

Michael Burke's double for the home side in the 84th and 90th minutes sandwiched an 86th-minute response by Mike Koral.

Albion are next in action when they host Leek at the U Lock It Stadium on Saturday.

Winsford United climbed to 18th in the North West Counties Premier Division with a 2-1 win at Padiham.

Richard Wincer put Blues in front in the 40th minute only for the hosts to level matters through Charlie Disney-Ridge in first-half stoppage time.

Ashley Woods then produced the decisive goal in the 68th minute, handing Winsford a first win in three league outings.

They will seek more points when they visit Stockport Georgians on Tuesday.

Barnton suffered a third loss in four league games away to Abbey Hulton United.

The Villagers, who have slipped one spot to sixth in the NWCFL First Division South, were defeated 2-1.

Joseph Levey (30) equalised the scores but Liam Robinson (15, 37) settled matters with his second goal.

Barnton are away to Congleton Town in the first round of the Cheshire Senior Cup on Tuesday.